Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Portuguese saddle

The next large order on my work list is Marianna's Portuguese set, so I was absolutely delighted to spend some time with a real Portuguese saddle last weekend.
This is not the first time I've had the opportunity to take pictures of this particular saddle.  Last time I spent a lot of time the parts that you don't usually see--the panels, under the flaps, etc.  This time I was more interested in the decorative details.
I was particularly fascinated by the pommel so I took lots of pictures of it...
from every conceivable angle!
Moving on to the cantle--here's the backview.
Cantle rings.  If I recall correctly, the stirrups are attached to these while the horse is worked in hand.
Detail of the crupper ring.
Stirrup.
Decorative stitching on the corners of the flaps.
Many thanks to Regan for arranging to have this saddle brought to the Rocky Mountain Horse Expo.  If you would like to see some more pictures of it, be sure to check out this post.

6 comments:

  1. That is some crazy saddlery there - but SO pretty! Can't wait to see the finished (miniature) product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say thanks for all your posts. I don't have time to make much tack these days, but by reading your posts I get to feel like I still have my fingers in it.
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex--Portuguese saddle #3 is next on my work list so you shouldn't have to wait long. I hope I can do justice to the source material!

    Lorrie--thanks so much for saying that. It really is appreciated.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What firm made this saddle? It's really beautuiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete