Looking ahead, however, I do have something completely different on the horizon. You may remember a couple months back I traded a tack slot for an unpainted Dagmar Anderson Orgulhoso resin. Well, Dagmar's slot is nearing the top of my worklist, and I've begun to gather up my Portuguese tack reference pictures.
This will not be my first attempt at Portuguese tack. I made a set for my friend Regan about two years ago, and it has consistently placed well for her in the show ring. Despite that, I've never been entirely pleased with the saddle. I really wanted to build it around a metal tree, but try as I might, I just couldn't seem to make that work. In the end, I went with a hand-sculpted epoxy tree. It turned out ok, but I have always felt that was an imperfect solution. So, although I still have some English orders to work through, I'm thinking about Portuguese saddles again. I have some new ideas about how I'm going to tackle that tree this time, and I am optimistic that I will come up with something better.
I did not take any of the pictures in today's post. They were all provided to me by Regan who is my go-to person for all things Iberian. I am posting these pictures here in hopes that other tackmakers will find them useful. Google has made it (relatively) easy to find pictures of specialty tack, but detail pictures like these are still a rare commodity. Because I am obsessed with having my tack look and feel like the real thing, I find pictures like this that show the placement of the billets to be invaluable. I hate having to guess on important construction details.
Similarly, I always want to know what the bottom of the saddle looks like. This one looks pretty cushy!