Friday, March 16, 2012

Thinking ahead

In a little more than a month, I'll be attending Sheila Bishop's High Plains Live Model Horse Show.  I am really, really looking forward to this show.  In fact, I'm so excited that I've decided to ditch my usual "Procrastinate and Panic" method of show preparation.  It's hard to believe, but I'm already working on my performance entries!
Why so motivated?  Overall Grand Champions will win a Brio Sombra resin!
Because I really do want to win a Brio Sombra resin, I'll be showing my best performance model, Emma.  I've already had a lot of success with her, and most of her entries are pretty solid.  However, there's still some fine tuning to do.  Take for example, this Western Trail set-up.
As the blue ribbons attests, there's nothing wrong with this entry.  However, every time I set it up, I'm struck by how plain it looks.  Some nice matching flower pots are definitely in order.

Except... somethings are easier said than done.  It turns out that it's really hard to find in scale flowers in just the right shade of blue.  If I was Kim or Kathi Haymond, I'd just make my own.  Since I'm not, I decided to go the customization route.

These tiny plastic flowers were $3.99 at Hobby Lobby.  They were in the "blue flower" section at Hobby Lobby, but when I got them home their color looked pretty greenish gray.
I clipped and gathered them into bunches, and then glued them into their painted flower pots.
Using acrylic craft paint, I added black dots to the centers...
and then brushed them lightly with watered down blue paint.  I repeated this step several times until I achieved the coverage I was looking for. 
Here's the end result--a really nice set of matching poles and flower pots. 
Little details like this do not make or break a performance entry.  However, they do add a level of polish.  Emma's entries are already good.  My challenge to myself is to make them better.  I may not win the Brio Sombra, but at least it won't be for lack of trying!

10 comments:

  1. Well, I better be thinking a bit harder on what I plan on showing then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooo! Half the reason I'm thinking ahead is because I know about all your cool new stuff.

    (The other half is Tiffany Purdy!)

    Honestly though, I wouldn't mind losing to either one of you!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job, Jen! Making flowers for my own performance entries is exactly how we got started on props... Those rubber flowers are really versatile. If you mix a little multi-purpose sealer in with the paint, it helps with coverage and also helps protect the pretty new paintwork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is those teeny little details that spruce up a plainer entry giving just that extra little pop that sometimes makes the judges jobs a little bit easier - all else being equal. At least that's what they tell me - never been a judge - lol! Your flowers look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've already started working on my NAN props....
    Love your mule and the poles with your new lovely flower pots will look great set up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know! But I know the potential depth to your show string. I need a snow day to do some intensive "spring cleaning" of my reference/set-up stuff. It needs some sprucing up.

    And not have that schooling show with Flick on my head (and checking account!) would help greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those flowers, I have them in all the colors. Never thought about painting them, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice I know what you mean about adding some touchs to your set ups I would like to win Show For The Cure lol well I can hope right :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just did that! Thanks to your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so cool! I usually make paper flowers but these look way better

    ReplyDelete