Resins are tough, but they're not indestructible. Long thin legs and fragile ear tips are prone to breakage, particularly when placed in a box and shipped across the country. Every now and then, even a well packed model is going to arrive with broken body parts.
This was the case with Raconteur. Although the damage wasn't noticeable at first glance...
closer inspection revealed a crack right below the knee...that ran nearly the entire circumference of his leg.
It's disappointing to receive a broken model, but fortunately I'm good at fixing things. I started by carefully dremelling out the crack. It's important to remove the entire crack, which in this case extended well into the middle of Raconteur's leg.
I then filled the dremelled area with a two part epoxy and allowed that to dry overnight.
The next morning, I checked to make sure the epoxy was completely set before attacking it--carefully!--with 400 grit sandpaper.
This step is essential in creating an invisible repair so I spent a lot of time making sure that the transition from resin to epoxy was as smooth and seamless as possible.
The last step is to repair the finishwork. Fortunately, Raconteur has mostly black legs so color matching wasn't a huge issue. I used pastels to build up a reddish brown undertone...and then painted over the entire area with many thin layers of black acrylic paint.
I allowed the leg to dry thoroughly before treating it with a several light coat of protective spray. Ta da! Raconteur's leg is almost as good as new. If you hold him upside down in bright sunlight and really study the area below the knee, you might be able to see the patch, but it's nearly invisible. I'm calling this one a success!
Many thanks to Tiffany Purdy for being my fix-it consultant. I don't know what I'd do without her!