Saturday, March 6, 2010

Transforming Suki

It's been more than two months since I've done any customizing work at all. I've been so busy whittling away at the tack backlog that I haven't had the time or energy.

Today, however, I felt a sudden and irresistible urge to play with epoxy. More specifically, I wanted to see if I could transform my unpainted Suki resin into a miniature version of the adorable Iris.
Iris' most notable feature is her beautiful, refined Arabian head so that's where I concentrated most of my efforts.
Here are the before...
and after pictures. Can you see the differences?
I realize my changes are pretty minor...
but I hope I've succeeded in making Suki looked a bit more refined and "Iris-like." In the midst of the sculpting frenzy, I managed to drop Suki on the floor. Her tail popped right off which gave me the perfect excuse to sculpt her a new one. Here are the beginning stages of that process, first with the aluminum foil over wire...
and then one layer of epoxy.
Now it's the slow, boring wait while the epoxy dries. There's still a lot to do, but I am pretty pleased with my day's work. Critiques and suggestions are always welcome. I'd love to get this girl finished and off the unpainted shelf!

4 comments:

  1. Looking good! I would like to do customs but I have no luck at sculpting. Can't wait to see when she's done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much better - the ears could still use a bit more refinement but they are better than the original ones. I like the other changes too. The little bit of work you did on the nostrils was REALLY an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!

    Teresa, I haven't really decided what I want to do with the ears. The real Iris has very distinctive ears with the tips curling backwards. It's cute, cute, cute but I'm not sure how well it would translate to epoxy. I'm also considering turning one ear out to the side. So, yeah, those ears aren't finished yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bit I notice most is the chin, your chin is much better.

    ReplyDelete