Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring break

My kids aren't horse lovers. They don't collect model horses or read horse books or cover the pages of their notebooks with drawings of horses.

They are, however, horse likers. They enjoy going to the barn and recently have expressed an interest in riding on a more regular basis. Today we took advantage of the beautiful spring weather and drove out to Parker for a fun and informal riding lesson. Ryan rode Punky (the bay) and James rode Tyson (the chestnut).
Mostly we worked on starting, stopping and steering. The boys did very well, but there were still a few traffic jams.
Ryan is working on his heels down leg position. Both boys are talking about going riding more often so I guess I'm going to have to think about investing in boots.
James practiced riding Tyson in and out of the round pen. Tyson was in such a good mood. He can be a bit of a sourpuss but today he was the picture of cooperation.
Cara waited very patiently while the kids rode, but I could tell that she was eager to have a turn. Eventually I called James over and unsaddled Tyson.
All smiles! This was worth the wait!James decided to try out Punky and immediately encountered steering issues. Luckily Cara was there to give him a lead.
I hadn't planned to ride today, but I was unable to resist. Doesn't Punky look thrilled?
We ended the day with a mini trail ride down the driveway.
Three happy kids and two very patient horses!
Weather permitting, Cara and I will go riding again on Friday. After all, there's no better way to enjoy Spring Break!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day! Glad the boys enjoyed themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of you and Punky is totally priceless! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great day :)

    ReplyDelete