Saturday, July 22, 2017

Old Friends

There are a lot of Breyers at Breyerfest...
but there are a lot of real horses, too. 
Some of these horses live at the Kentucky Horse Park year round.
Others are there on a temporary basis, to take part in various events and competitions.
And then there are the thousands of horses, primarily Thoroughbreds, who live at one of the many expansive farms throughout the greater Lexington area.
I only managed to visit one of these farms, but it was a good one: Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Farms.
I was accompanied by two of my favorite people, Mackenzie...
and Jodi Purdy. 
We arrived early, and spent some time in the gift shop. 
Look at all those carrots! 
Then it was time for the tour.
The first horse we met was Sarava. 
This little guy spoiled War Emblem's 2002 Triple Crown bid with a surprise win in the Belmont Stakes.
The next horse was Genuine Reward. He was the first foal produced by Kentucky Derby winning filly, Genuine Risk. Although he did not inherit his mother's racing talent, he is a handsome, friendly horse, and I was happy to meet him.
 Although he did not inherit his mother's racing talent, he is a handsome, friendly horse, and I was happy to meet him.
Some of the other horses on our tour included Amazombie, winner of 2011 Breeders Cup Sprint,
Ide, winner of the 1996 Rebel Stakes,
 two of the horses who played Seabiscuit in the movie of the same name...
 and Tuneintobow, who did nothing of consequence but still deserves a happy retirement.
Of course, we also met Old Friends' biggest stars, but I took enough photos of those horses to merit several additional posts.
This was a really fun field trip and one of the best parts of my entire Breyerfest weekend. If you happen to find yourself in Lexington, be sure to visit Old Friends.

2 comments:

  1. So I've been at Old Friends too. There was a very shy horse who did not like people that much but his pasture mate did. His friend got every carrot and bit of attention. I spent the entire time with that stop getting him to trust me enough to eat a carrot. It still is a special memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it's one of MY favorite places... I wanted to go the minute I found out it existed and have now gotten there three times. The best of memories meeting all the famous and not-so-famous residents. Indeed not to be missed and a wonderful charity I am very proud and happy to support!

    ReplyDelete