Thursday, July 20, 2017

Breyerfest

When I was twenty one, I spent a summer working as a wrangler at Lake Mancos Ranch in the mountains of southwest Colorado.
This was a fun job, but it was also a hard, physical job, with long hours and very little pay. 
Sixty five horses saddled every day before breakfast
The small, tight-knit staff coped by complaining. A lot.
Drinking helped, too. And bonfires.
During one of these bitch sessions, a veteran employee named Laura laughed and said, "Here's the thing about Lake Mancos Ranch. We all complain while we're here. We complain about the work and the weather, the food and the accommodations, the owners and the guests. We think want to go home and live our regular lives, but I promise you this: Almost as soon as you get home, you're going to wish you were back at the Ranch."
I'm not sure anyone believed her at the time, but her words were prophetic. Even now, all these years later, I wish I could return to Lake Mancos Ranch.
I thought Breyerfest would be like BreyerWest, but bigger.
I was wrong. Breyerfest is the best of times and the worst of times all at the same time. In essence, it's Lake Mancos Ranch.
That was a long, hard, hot, fun, frustrating and exhilarating week. I am so glad to be home. I can't wait to go again.

2 comments:

  1. You've captured it. It's so big one cannot experience all of it from just one individual's viewpoint.
    Sorry I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect. Very much how my first year went <3

    ReplyDelete