Years ago, I made a bunch of tack for Erin Corbett. In exchange, she promised me a saddle.I always tell people that I don't mind waiting for quality. I'd much rather have something awesome in a year than something mediocre today. This saddle took more than a year, but I don't regret a single minute of the wait.
This detail photo showcases Erin's wonderful tooling and also my own small but significant contribution to this project. Erin likes to build off the RDLC saddle tree, which is a bit too flat for my taste. Because I am a pain in the neck, I asked if she would consider using a modified tree instead. She agreed so I spent a ridiculous amount of time "fixing" a tree. The seat is deeper, the cantle is a little higher and the swells are slightly extended forward. It's not a huge difference, but I am loving the final result!
To make up for being such a prima donna in regards to the tree, I told Erin I would be happy to assemble the bridle and breast collar myself. Here are those pieces, plus a bonus romal popper and saddle blanket wear leathers.
I'd already made one blanket for this saddle, but as soon as I found out about the wear leathers I had to start on another one. I think they look best on solid colored pads, but since that's too boring to stitch, this one is solid around the edges and pink in the middle.
I am absolutely in love with my new saddle. Thank you so much, Erin. This truly was worth the wait!