Monday, March 23, 2020

Doing without

I didn't give up riding right away.
Stealth's ears
It seemed safe enough. After all, horses are good at social distancing.
Mikey's ears
My friends and I laid down some rules before each ride. Only one person in the tack room at a time and only one horse per hitching rail.
Stealth's new grooming stall
We kept more space between our horses on the trail.
Mary Jo on Scarlett, Diana on Guaranteed, Karen on Thunder, Aggie on G
We stayed away from each other during the post ride debriefing.
Mary Jo, Karen and Teresa
It seemed safe enough.
Diana on Guaranteed, Karen on Thunder, Jennifer on Stealth, Mary Jo on Scarlett
Until it didn't. 
As more and more people stopped going to work, more and more people have found their way to the barn. This might have been okay, if people were careful and considerate. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't. I'm sorry, I don't care who you are. If you aren't living in my house, I don't want you standing next to me.
Scarlett is my spirit animal this week
So I haven't been to the barn in a week. I hate it, but I know that the horses are going to do just fine without me. The barn staff is plenty capable. They don't need my help, and they don't need my germs. 
And I certainly don't need to bring home any pushy acquaintance germs to my family. No thank you.
Obsession and Chili
Quarantine is hard, but it's also necessary. I hope everyone who can is staying home and staying safe.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's the right decision, though not an easy one. It's even harder when other people contribute to ruining things. I'm so thankful to have Bo here in our yard. If he were still at a boarding stable right now, I'm not sure what I'd do. Thinking back to were I boarded him for so long in SD and how the barn got strangles right before we went to Japan. They (owners and other boarders) did NOT take it seriously, at least not at first, and I was a nervous wreck. I was militant about bleaching his stall and trying to keep everyone and their horses away from him. It was awful. Somehow the place didn't get quarantined, at least not before I got Bo the hell out of there. Thankfully he didn't catch it, several other horses did and at least one died by the time we left. :( It's why we got him out of there early and took him to my friends place two+ months before we actually left for Japan. I hope to never be in that situation again. The place was good for a lot of years, everyone was mostly nice and no problem, until that happened. :(