I have made hundreds of saddles in the last eight years. The vast majority of those have been "English" saddles, but I've also built several different types of Western saddles, English and Western endurance saddles, Charro saddles and a whole slew of racing saddles... And, oh yeah, there was also one Portuguese saddle.
You can read the whole sad saga of that first Portuguese saddle here.
Although Regan has won a lot of NAN cards with it, I was never truly satisfied with the way it was put together.
If I was smart, I would have quit while I was ahead. Unfortunately, I am a slow learner. In December 2008, I agreed to take on another Portuguese saddle order. Then, in October 2009, I did it again.
I have tried and tried and tried to make those saddles. I can not explain it, but it's obvious that I have a real mental block when it comes to this particular type of saddlery.
Yesterday, however, I had a breakthrough. Today, I have most of a saddle.As usual, this is not nearly as finished as it looks. I still have a ton of work to do, but the basics are there and this time, I'm much happier with the way it's going together. It's not perfect, of course. I still see things that need changing, but it really feels like I'm on the right track. Finally--I'm on the right track.
Oh, you have no idea what a relief this is! For the first time in a long time, I actually think I'm going to slay the Portuguese saddle dragon!