Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Almost wordless Wednesday

Because I am not a harness expert, I decided to double check the sidecheek attachment before assembling Vicky's harness bridle yesterday.  I opened Google Images, typed  "harness bridle liverpool bit sidecheek" into the box and hit the search button.    

Google doesn't know the difference between real and model horses.  I've learned to expect a lot of model horse results every time I do a Google search.   Still, I was surprised to see a picture of the dressage saddle I made for the WEG Diorama Project in the first group of images!

I never did manage to find a good picture of the sidecheek attachment with Google.  Fortunately, I didn't have to.  The answer was in my own picture files among the photos I took at the Arapahoe County Fair Draft Horse Show in 2009.  I may have published a couple of these pictures before, but they're worth revisiting.  Hope you enjoy them!











P.S. I tried, but I can't seem to replicate the results of yesterday's Google search.  I guess the WEG saddle is no longer a good result for a search for a query about harness bridles.  Go figure!

15 comments:

  1. So, there's a "noseband" on those bridles (meaning a leather piece that goes over the nose), but there's not chin portion to it? Just one side of the face to the other on top? Sorry, just noticed that, and want to make my (albeit cheaply made) model harnesses more accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's how it looks to me--the nosebands only go halfway around the horses' noses!

    It's worth noting that with the exception of the black Percherons, all these horses were competing in the "farm team" classes such as log skidding, obstacle course and feed team race. The Percherons showed in both the show team classes and the farm team classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So does the side check take the place of the lower half of the noseband? or does it have another function?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! Did you find any on a more pleasure type harness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use this site for pleasure harness reference pictures:
    http://www.drivingessentials.com/harness_essential_plus.htm
    They have nice clear pictures you can enlarge. In particular on the page I have linked the bridle picture is really clear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane--the sidecheek keeps the horse's head up. It really doesn't have anything to do with the noseband.

    Vicky--The thing I needed to check wasn't specific to a pleasure harness. The draft pictures worked just fine so I didn't keep googling!

    Thanks for that link, Lauren. There are some really good pictures there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure it will turn out well. Your tack is really wonderful, very easy on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to see photos! It helps visualize later! Found some, so have it straight in my head! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful photos thanks for shareing them with everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tiny little note... it's a side check, not side cheek. Google does give results for side check even if you type side cheek.

    If you are ever looking for non-draft side check bridles, Walsh also has a few photos of them as well as several overchecks too. But the Driving Essentials site has some of the best pics available online. Freedman's, despite thier amazing products, has fairly useless photos. Useless for us, any way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SideCHECK, sideCHECK! In theory I did know that. After all, I know the other option is an overCHECK. I'm not sure why I *always* make that mistake!! Thanks for the correction and maybe now I'll get it right forevermore.

    (or not)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol. Mental block and you are stuck with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pictures are always so useful for reference, I'm not sure what my tack would end up looking like if your blog didn't exist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all these great pictures, I couldn't find good pics on google of those silly draft-bridles! And now I've got everything I need. Thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to be of help, Char, and I've got to say--I really love new comments on old posts!

    :)

    ReplyDelete