Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The WEG Diorama Project

Oh, I have been wanting to blog about this for the longest time!

Way back in February, I was contacted by a representative of Reeves International about participating in a diorama project for the World Equestrian Games. The objective was to create six separate dioramas depicting world class eventing, dressage, show jumping, combined driving and reining which would be displayed at the Kentucky Horse Park for the duration of the Games.

It was decided that I would make the dressage tack. I built this saddle,
bridle,
and girth.
I shipped everything off to the project coordinator, and then the waiting began. Months passed without a word and but today--finally--I got a little sneak peek at the project results. Huge thanks to Kelly Martin for sharing these pictures!

This is the Dressage Diorama. The Salinero model was customized by Ann Harris and the dolls were dressed by Sheri Wirtz.
The judge's stand was mostly built by Terry Heath and Martina Vanilli, with help from Linda Shepherd, Robin Briscoe and Kelly Martin. I just love all the little details!
Here's a look at one of the eventing dioramas. This is a model version of the late great Theodore O'Connor.
His tack was made by Pat Coulter of Open Gate Farm and he is shown with an absolutely spectacular jump made by Kim Haymond and her mother (more pictures of this to follow!).
The other eventing diorama.
One of the combined driving horses--photo taken while still in progress (obviously!).
Last but not least, Mindy Berg's amazing show jumper. It's hard to believe but this horse started life as a Breyer Ruffian. The tack was made by Kelly Volp.
I am so proud to have been a part of this project and would love to post more pictures of both the diorama components and the finished results. If you were one of the artists who participated in the WEG Diorama Project and you'd like to see your work featured here, please get in touch with me. Alternatively, if you are attending WEG, be sure to stop by the Breyer Store and the Media Center and don't forget to bring your camera. Any and all WEG photos would be greatly appreciated.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures! The showjumping tack is by me - I forgot to take photos before handing it off. The Ruffian is so amazing looking! All the dioramas are so impressive - beautiful dressage tack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks for the information Kelly. I will go back and edit the text to give you credit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHH more photos please. Can not wait to see the finished results. Thanks for the post Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are incredible! I am especially flipping out over those water splashes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Looking forward to more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! amazing! I'm so glad you wrote about this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hope the girls that did the final assembly give out some secrets... I MUST know how the water splashes were made. I've got half an idea, but man, that's cool!

    Shannon de Waal and Heather Jackson-Lain are going to KHP this week so they are on high alert to find all six and fill up thier camera cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made dolls for the combined driving set-up but only took a couple of quick photos of them. And then changed something before they left so I don't even have good photos :(
    I had an idea who at least some of the other artists were on the team (email addresses in group emails can give things away) but since it was so hush hush I couldn't talk to anyone about it. Yay now we can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, talk about jealousy. I would break in and steal every single one of those! How I SOOOOOO wish I could go to Kentucky! Yesterday I was like "can I quit my job and we go to kentucky this week" and he was like "sure!" but he didn't understand the question thoroughly. *tear*. To anyone who is going, I'd love to get as many photos as possible, PLEASE! Wouldn't mind a model or two also, but photos are essential!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, awesome, AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic work. It must be such an honour being asked to do this. It's lovely to be appreciated so highly for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I am so impressed. The detail is ridiculous!

    I would love to see larger pictures at some point too.

    ReplyDelete