Friday, December 3, 2010

Bangles

Observant readers have probably noticed there's a new resin in my collection.  In the past week she has made two appearances on this blog, first with Teresa's bridle and yesterday with the Holiday Halter.  Here's a better look at my pretty new girl.
Bangles is a Shirley resin.  She was sculpted by Brigitte Eberl of Germany and was painted by Chris Nandell.   I am a big fan of both these ladies, and this model wonderfully showcases their individual talents.  She's just so wonderfully horselike.  By that I mean that she isn't artsy and she doesn't look like an idealized version of the perfect show horse.  Instead, she's just looks like a real-live everyday kind of horse.  
In fact, when I look at Bangles what I see is a camp horse.   As a teenager, I spent four wonderful summers working on the horse staff of a local day camp.  I also rode several of those same camp horses during the off season, and I have extreme affection for friendly, furry horses of no particular breeding.  I look forward to making Bangles her own set of "camp tack."  Can't you picture her trotting happily down a trail blissfully unaware of the little kid bouncing around on her back?
All photos were taken by Chris Nandell and are used with her permission.  Be sure to check out Chris' website to see more of her paintwork as well as her beautiful herd of American Shetland ponies!

3 comments:

  1. She is a beautiful mare with such a lovely head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see some camp tack. I don't know about your camp, but most of my camp's tack is cobbled together from donated items. I've always wondered what a model judge would think of the battered old western show bridle (complete with large silver conchos on the shaped cheek pieces) used with a plain snaffle bit and blue nylon English reins, with the horse's name written on a piece of masking tape... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My camp had lots of nylon headstalls with knotted split reins. There were a few leather bridles, too, most of which were reserved for the horses we considered "most worthy." Each bridle had the tape wrapped around a cheekpiece with the horse's name written on it. I suspect that's pretty much standard "camp tack!"

    The one way we were different was in regards to saddles. We didn't use them! A look at my camp's website indicates this is still true twenty years later. "Saddles? We don't need no stinking saddles!" It's bareback pads all the way, baby!

    ReplyDelete