Saturday, April 24, 2010

An unlikely performance horse

One of my favorite things about photo showing is that with the right camera angle and a lot of creativity, even the most unlikely models can be potential performance superstars.

Touch of Red is a perfect example of this. He is a Peter Stone rearing horse, a mold which is unpopular with halter and performance showers alike. Despite that, Touch of Red has had a long and successful showing career in the tough MEPSA show series. Here are a few of his pictures. Touch of Red is shown wearing a Hartland Collectibles saddle made by Kathleen Bond. His cinch was made by Doreen McGuire, his pad by Deb Messner and the boots, bridle and breastcollar were made by yours truly. Traci Durrell-Khalife dressed the doll.
Competing in Western Trail with a jump by Jane Schneider. I love this picture!
You won't see Touch of Red accompanying me to any live shows, but he's just as unlikely to end up for sale on MH$P. This good old boy with his good old pictures (taken with a film camera!) has earned his forever home. Who knows, I might even take some English performance pictures of him one of these years!

9 comments:

  1. Those pictures are great! and inspiring! Way to use a non-performance horse in so many disciplines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some very nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to see the English shots when you do them Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that last shot. I'm going to have to remember that one for the shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really do have much nicer horses (and tack!) to show now, but there's something I still find appealing about this particular model. I'm sure I could come up with at least a few good English type entries--jumper, trail and cross country for sure plus maybe games? I haven't taken new performance photos in years, but I really do want to get back into that. I think that will be a summer vacation project for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's such a pretty model in these pictures! I saw him a few years ago at a Horse Expo. He was blue though, I think this guy's changed my mind about him though! He's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the jumping photo! That model looks just like he's hopping over a crossrail.

    How is he supported in these pics?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you have done with this guy! It looks like he was meant for these events!

    ReplyDelete