Friday, February 12, 2010

More on the pony saddle

It's finished!
Aren't those safety stirrups neat? They were made for me by my very talented friend Tiffany Purdy.
This saddle sports a couple new-to-me features that aren't noticeable at first glance. The first of these innovations is shown here on the panels. I'm not sure this kind of added detail is necessary since you can't see it when the saddle is in use. Still, it didn't take very long and it makes me happy. I expect this will become standard on my future saddles.
I also added a small knee roll to the front of the lower flap. I was worried this might make the upper flap bunch out and look messy, but those fears turned out to be groundless. I'll be repeating this experiment again, too.
Of course all the fancy features in the world don't mean a thing if the saddle doesn't fit. I always hold my breath a little bit as I get out a doll for the final fitting...
Phew--it fits! On to the bridle!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. I can't get over how real to life it is and the saftey stirrups are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could spell... that should have been "safety" stirrups. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! I like all the extras - and even better if they make you extra happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, especially with all the little details! :D

    -Nichelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those stirrups are fantastic - talk about going the extra mile for authenticity. And that dolls sits really nicely in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing :) I don't know if you'd be willing too, seeing as you do have a lot of work to do, but could you make a "tack tip" on panels? Because I make tack too (I'm an up-and-coming 14 year old tack maker haha) and my biggest problem is the panels. I used to have trouble with knee roles but then I watched a video on making a real saddle and it helped. But I can't find anything that teaches how to make good panels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anna, I will definitely keep that in mind for a future Tack Tip tutorial. I struggled with the panels for a long time, too. I'm still not 100% satisfied with mine, but they're getting there. In short, I use tooling leather and felt to build the panel and then cover that with skiver. I know someother tackmakers use craft foam covered with skiver but I prefer the shape-ability of leather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could u do a step-by-step on how to add knee rolls to a miniature saddle???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to do that to my stirrups now! i have never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete