Start to Finish--Murdock's Jump In Progress
by Kim Haymond
I thought people might be interested in seeing the stages a jump goes through from start through completion. Rayvin Brewer has graciously allowed me to use in-progress photos of the cross country jump we made for her lovely Murdock resin. This jump was inspired by the Rolex Head of the Lake jump complex, specifically the 2005 Head of the Lake design.
Here is what we're aiming for:
We always spend a lot of time on design, but we were especially particular with the measurements and proportions of this jump since Murdock's acrylic rod will go into a hole in the resin water. Once that hole is there, no further adjustments will be possible--we only get one shot at it! Since this jump includes water, it was constructed in a plexiglass tray.
As always, the first step was to determine the size of the different jump elements. Once that's done, we cut the foam that will be the interior structure of the jump and created a rough mock-up of the finished jump.The allowed us to fine tune the placement of the horse over the jump and the size of the different elements. Changes made at this stage will save us countless headaches in the next few months!
That's a big log the real life photos. Since we didn't have the right size log on hand, we used a glue bottle as a stand-in!
After we were happy with the overall jump dimensions, we calculated out the size of each of the different components in the wood jump structure. Sawing everything took a while and inevitably led to some additional adjustments--though this particular design was refreshingly straightforward! Then we put everything back together to make sure it fit the way we wanted and Murdock still looked good sailing over the top.
Back to the reference photos:
If you look carefully, you can see that there is a downward slope to the ground on the sides of the jump. We did a lot of contouring to the pink foam to match that slope, added a plaster based ground cover and gave it all a base coat of paint.
We also stained and weathered the wood for the jump structure and the retaining wall.
In between the stages of actual jump construction, we also made lots (and lots and lots!) of flowers.
We also made two flowering bushes to go on each side of the jump.
Bushes and flowers together.
Back to the diorama! The next step was to permanently attach it to the plexiglass frame and add the first coat of ground cover.I always love the big change that first layer of ground cover makes!
The next step was to pour the resin water. This is always a bit nerve racking since no matter how many times you do it, water is guaranteed to create some surprises and problems.
The next big steps were drilling the hole for the acrylic rod, 'planting' all the flowers and permanently constructing the wood jump structure.
And finally--the finished diorama:
Thanks to everyone who was interested in seeing our 'process' and most of all thanks to Rayvin for asking us to bring her idea to life!
And thanks to you as well, Kim, for allowing us to peek over your shoulder while you work!