Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Danielle's BCC entry

Because I was one of the BreyerFest Best Customs Contest judges, I was not able to blog about any of the entries prior to judging. Now that it's all said and done, I am delighted to share this post by Danielle Feldman chronicling the creation of her winning Best Model for Performance entry. Thank you, Danielle, and congratulations again. I absolutely love Giuseppe and every one of his dozen friends!
The Making of Giuseppe (and a Dozen Friends)

by Danielle Feldman

I started out by chopping apart a Breyer Quarter Horse Yearling. 
I whittled it down to almost sticks. I had to remove so much plastic to get the chunky QH into a donkey's thinner frame. By chopping down the middle, I was able to make him narrower. By chopping in half the other way, I was able to lengthen the back and change the angle that the hindquarters attach to the body. 
I sculpted the head separate from the body and found I really liked that approach.
The next step was bulking up and setting the head in place.
I used painters tape and soda glue to make the armature for the mane and tail tuft. Very little of the original plastic shows through, and none of the original sculpture is left. It's all been carved or sanded down.
I took pictures at this stage, so I could see if there were areas needing fixing. 
Droopy lip and floppy ears.
Here's the pile of sheep. There was lots of back and forth on sculpting these. They are all original sculptures built from wire armatures. 
Countless hours later, the sheep have made it into primer. Insert counting sheep joke here, I have no energy left.
The lambs are also original sculptures. Here they are trying out the fit of their blanket.
And trying it on G.
I broke out the power tools - love me my power tools! - and cut a piece of wood down to size.  I primed it, painted it with latex paint, then painted it with acrylic craft paints (seen here). The landscaping came later, sorry no pictures. I worked long and late, down to the wire!
G with Sheep. This is the official ruler picture
Offside showing off the other little lambies.
I made everything except the string cinch. The halter was my International Tack Month project, which I both started and completed about a month or two after IMTM. The group was super helpful to point me in the right direction so that I could learn to skive leather, stitch mark it, and make a rolled throatlatch
None of the sheep or lambs have names yet. I am open to suggestions!
Please visit Danielle's blog to see more of her work, plus lots of pictures from this year's NAN and BreyerFest.

1 comment:

  1. This is unbelievable!! So cute! All these details!

    ReplyDelete