Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Preparations

Seth and I are expecting a number of out-of-town visitors this week, including our niece, Gray, and two of their horse friends.

Of course, I want to take them to the barn, and of course, I want Gray to ride Sage again. Except this time, I want it to be a real ride, no lead ropes involved.
But before that happens, I wanted someone else to ride her.
Specifically, someone else who is not me.
So I asked fellow mustang owner, Rain, if he would be interested in giving her a few training rides. He definitely was, and the first one happened this past Sunday.
Before he mounted, Rain started with a little groundwork.
Sage was fine, so he took her to the mounting block...
and climbed aboard.
I held my breath as he asked her to walk forward, but Sage moved out willingly. 
If she had any concerns about being ridden by a stranger, she kept them to herself. 
Sage looked very confident and relaxed with Rain.
That is not to say there weren't a few awkward moments.
Sage is very green and also very opinionated. Of course, there were a few awkward moments.
Still most of the ride looked like this. I was so pleased.
At one point, Sage acted like she wanted to trot. We haven't done that yet, but I told Rain I was fine with it if he was. He definitely was!
The session finished with a series of walk/halt transitions and Sage's first ground mount. All of this went really well.
I can not overstate how much I enjoyed watching Rain work with Sage. I'm so proud of my funny girl, and I'm looking forward to sharing her with Gray!

3 comments:

  1. Good girl, Sage. She actually looks like she is dozing off in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can just see the confidence and connection Rain has on a horse. Those kinds of training rides are fantastic. Seems like the piece you and Sage need at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Shannon said,... except, y'know, 'peace.'

    ReplyDelete