Friday, January 31, 2014

Revisiting Rev, the resin edition

Another one of my hobby goals for 2014 is to get some of my unpainted resins into the hands of finishwork artists.  The first one to go will be my Rev portrait, created from a Maggie Bennett Cooper body and a Peter Stone Arabian head.
I started this guy last Spring and made a lot of progress in a short amount of time.  The head is securely attached to the body and the resculpted area on the neck is nice and smooth.  However, normal prepping aside, there are three big areas that need to be addressed before I send him off to Tennessee.  These are his ears, his tail and his mane.  
The ears look okay from the side, but are weirdly narrow and pointy when viewed head on.  I tried to shape them with epoxy, but that didn't go very well. 
So...  I cut them off! 
I then used Laura Skillern's method to make some new ears out of epoxy. 
While those were drying, I moved on to the broken tail.  I carefully chipped out the crack,
filled the gap with baking soda and super glue, 
and covered it up with a layer of epoxy.
Then--because I was feeling fancy--I decided to add a pinwheel!
The new mane is loosely based on another Laura Skillern tutorial.  I created it with a combination of embroidery floss and epoxy.
After everything had cured, I played around with the ears.  The real Rev is a cheerful guy, and his ears are usually pointed forward. 
Despite that, I think I'm going to point them backwards.
For some reason, this look is really working for me! 
It's been a fun day working with epoxy instead of leather.  I'm going to give myself the rest of the weekend to finish this guy, and then it's back to tack!

13 comments:

  1. He is coming along great! Cannot -wait- to see him finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, don't kick me, but I'm voting for "ears forward." Like you said, he's a very cheerful guy and that's how I picture. HOW-EV-ER, he is (sort of) your horse and it's your portrait so you go right ahead do whatever you think looks right! ;) I'm sure he will be super.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go one forward, one back. But that's just how I like my horses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might have to second the idea of maybe at least one ear forward? It's likely because he's unpainted and lacking his wrench, but he looks like such the stereotypically grumpy Arab with both ears back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear from you again, Jay. It's been a while, and I was wondering how you were doing...

      Delete
  5. He is looking amazing!!
    However, I think I am totally going to second(3rd) the one ear forward. Like you said yourself that's the way you like performance models.
    Just my point of view. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just don´t like the pinwheel, but he looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your right Rev is normally a happy guy, i'm for ears forward. He looks a bit too sour with them backwards. I think he will turn out GREAT!!! (Happy sculpting!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your posts on customizing always make me want to give it a try. You make it look so easy. :D

    Can't wait to see him all painted up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try customizing, Nichelle. It's fun and makes for a nice change from tack-making. Plus, it's nice to have a model that's a little different from everyone else's.

      I can't wait to see him painted up either!

      :)

      Delete
  9. Ok, ok. I ditched the grumpy ears and went with relaxed but still not forward ears. I'm pleased with the end product and that's all that really matters. Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is going to look great with colors on him! Can you please do a tutorial on how to make lead ropes, rubber reins, and English spurs? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete