Monday, January 6, 2014

Two dog day

Today was supposed to be the official first day of my 2014 tackmaking year.  However, things did not go according to plan. 

I got the kids to school without incident, but when I returned home, only one dog met me at the door.  "Where's your sister?"  I asked Emma.  A moment later, I heard a horrible, strangled sound coming from the dining room.  I looked in that direction and saw Darcy, down on her side, lying in her feces with a plastic cereal bag over her head.

Oh.  My.  God.

I ran to her and removed the bag.  She threw up a little and flopped back over on her side.  For a few minutes, I truly thought she was dying.

Eventually, though, she did come around.  She sat up, then she got up and signaled that she wanted to go outside.  I let her, and--typical Spitz--she spent the next half hour lying comfortably in the snow.
She was back to her usual self within the hour, but I'm not sure I've recovered yet!

Despite the scary morning, I did manage to get a few things accomplished in the studio.  Danielle and Tiffany's sleigh bells are done...
and Erin's dog has a face.
Awwww.  He's kind of cute! 
I was also hoping to start Margaret's bridle, but in the end, I just ran out of time.  Still, I can't complain.  This could have been a really terrible day.  It wasn't and I am so thankful.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how scary! Thank goodness Darcy is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janna took the words right out of my mouth! How scary. I'm so glad Darcy is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, that's so scary! Poor Darcy!! The cereal bag might have trapped off her air, or she might have accidentally swallowed part of it and it was stuck...that's so scary.

    I'm so glad she's okay, the poor thing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your heart must have stopped! So glad you got home in time to help her! Any problems now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! My heart leapt into my throat as I was reading. Any way to know if Darcy had a seizure?

    I give you a lot of credit, I'm sure I couldn't have accomplished anything after that... especially with my hands shaking so badly!

    Hope Darcy is o.k.
    Give the poor baby a hug from us all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darcy is epileptic what those look like), but she's well controlled with medication. I didn't see any evidence of a seizure yesterday--she just couldn't breathe with that bag over her head.

    Like I said in the post, she recovered more quickly from this incident than I did. Even hours after she'd returned to normal, I kept having to pester her with love and worry. Poor Darcy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear Darcy is OK. I saw your post of FB this morning and was stunned. Hopefully she has learned to keep her head out of cereal bags. *hugs* for a scary day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrifying. I saw your FB post and I would have been a wreck if that happened to my dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless you! ( And Darcy! ) This post could have been much different, you are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Darcy! Glad to hear she's OK.
    Love your little prop dog sculpture :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So scary! Glad to hear that she's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. :o Poor Darcy, that must have been a horrific thing to come home to!
    Give her a big cuddle from me!

    ReplyDelete