Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pictures from today's ride

Mystyc and I went on our first trail ride today.

We were joined by my friend, Carol, who was riding Deb's other horse, Sweet Pea.  This was Carol's second time on Sweet Pea and her first ever trail ride not on a rented horse.
We left the barn and followed the trail along the golf course.
Mystyc is an Arab, and she rides like an Arab.  She's been down this trail a million times with her owner, but she still feels the need to snort and spook at every rock and tree limb.  Fortunately, her spooks are a lot smaller than Rev's, and unlike him, she actually announces them ahead of time.  With Rev, it was always, "I'm walking, I'm walking, I'M SPOOKING!!!"  Mystyc is more like, "I'm walking, I see something I don't like, I think I'm going to spook, I'm spooking!"  It's so much easier.
We made it around the golf course without incident and arrived at the big open area with the pretty view. 
We continued to follow the trail to Coal Creek Arena.  Since both horses were being so good, we decided to take a different way home.  This trail hasn't been used much since the last snowfall...
but the footing was fine. 
There was a big hawk sitting in the tree next to the prairie dog enclosure. 
We watched him hunt for a little while before heading for home.
Oh, what a fun day! 
It may be a while before I'm ready to pack my good camera on Mystyc, so all of today's pictures were taken with my iPhone.  And since no cell phone camera post is complete without the obligatory selfie, here's one last picture of Mystyc and I!
Have I mentioned how good it felt to be out on the trails again?  Today was awesome!

8 comments:

  1. LOL, Simon announces his spooks too... it is quite helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After ten months on Rev, Mystyc's announced spooks make me ridiculously happy.

      :)

      Delete
  2. What, no stock show parade?!!? ;)

    And Flick occasionally is kind enough to tell you he's going to spook. Regardless, I usually just laugh at him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How incredibly thoughtful of Mystyc to announce her spooks. Hahaha. Good to see you on the trails again

    ReplyDelete
  4. After due consideration I think your hawk is a dark phase Rough-legged, rare and beautiful. They look "charcoal" with black body and white undersides of primaries & tail. A good catch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were able to get SO close to that hawk. If I'd had my real camera, the pictures would be awesome. Still, the cell phone did a pretty good job. I can't complain too much!

      Delete
  5. You guys look great! And I'm jealous of those sunny skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people don't know this, but Colorado is actually the sunniest state in the union, with over 300 days of sunshine a year. Overcast skies are unusual here. It's a great place for people who like being outdoors!

      Delete