Saturday, February 1, 2014

I ear you

The response to yesterday's post was clear and unanimous:  No one likes the idea of an ears back Rev.

I respect the group opinion so I tried and tried to make the ears forward look work.  I sticky waxed those ears into every conceivable position, and I just couldn't find an ears forward look that I liked.  Even one ear forward/one ear back--usually a favorite of mine--wasn't working.  Those ears on that head and body wanted to be back.

So, I decided to go back to the source.  
I pulled out ten months worth of Rev photos and made a startling discovery.
Although Rev is a cheerful, ears forward sort of guy on the ground, when he's ridden those ears are usually back. 
Mind you, they're not angry, tight-to-the-neck back (I'll save those for the Mystyc portrait--ha ha).  Instead, they're loosely back and out to the side in a listening-to-the-rider sort of position.
Well, I can do that!
I got out the sticky wax, found just the right position, and then--finally!--I attached them for real.
The left ear is tilted backwards but not angrily.  The right ear is out to the side.  Here's the rider's view...  
and here's the front view. 
I'm sure there are some who'd still prefer to see one ear forward, but I am satisfied with the position.   
It feels true to the real Rev and also looks good on the sculpture.  Hurray! 
And just so you know, there will eventually be another Rev inspired resin on my shelf.  One of my hobby friends saw this photo...
and was reminded of this Eberl resin.  In an act of extreme generosity, she bought me a copy.
This one will be the older, scruffier version of Rev, and I promise that I'll leave its ears pointed forward!

18 comments:

  1. I always thought the ears back look WAS Rev from all the pics you shared. The ears look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The final ear placement looks perfect! And what matters is you got them just the way you feel is right for the portrait to really be "Rev". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new ear position looks much happier and ready to work. Love it and can't wait to see him done! For me being such a non-red, non-Arab kinda person, I gotta admit how adorable Rev is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LIKE how the ears turned out. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved it! I love arabians, but Rev is WAY to cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the position you settled on suits his ears perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. P-E-R-F-E-C-T ears!! And just so you know...I happen to love sassy models with their ears back.(Thinking about yesterdays post). : D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the ears back, but this is even better! He's perfect now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so miss him! The resin looks great with the ears like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, that's the look you need. And since you've reminded me that yours will be chestnut, I will remember to NOT have mine painted chestnut ;)

    Like that is hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if yours was chestnut, it has a different head. Different ears, too.

      :)

      Delete
  11. I liked him with the ears right back actually but this looks much nicer I think. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Which Eberl resin is that in the last photo? I don't recognize it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an Eberl Myrtle. She's supposed to be a Welsh Pony mare. I'll probably make mine a Welsh/Arab mare, and I'm thinking I'll have her painted as Rev's mirror image. That way she'll be like Rev but not Rev.

      Delete
    2. Oh! Ok, now I recognize her. :) Thank you very much - she's very cute!

      Delete
  13. Perfect I never thought of putting them in the "I'm listening" position, that look suits Rev perfectly!!! He will turn out great! Good luck.

    Also,
    do you think Schleichs have a chance in any performance ring besides novice? I collect, show, and make show quality tack for them. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really not an expert on Schleichs. However, I believe that any model in a decent performance pose with at least average biomechanics should have a chance in performance assuming it also has well fitting tack and class appropriate set-ups. I've actually thought of making a packing set for my Schelich donkey. I probably won't get around to it, but if I did, I expect he'd be as competitive as one of my "big" donkeys.

      Good luck!

      Delete