Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I get an oompa-loompa

Pack harnesses aren't particularly hard to make, but like most strappy items, they require an inordinate amount of prep work.  Over the course of the last two days, I've skived a couple yards of lace, cleaned and assembled fifteen tongue buckles with rollers, punched hundreds of holes and created twenty five keepers.  Although essential, this prep-work is boring and exhausting, and I often wish I had an assistant--or perhaps an Oompa-Loompa?--to  help me with these mind-numbing stages.

One of the last things I worked on today was the double cinch.  As usual, I started by forming some jump rings into a nice D shape.  Also as usual, I found myself contemplating that little gap along the bottom bar.  It's offset enough that the tongue probably won't work itself out of position, but really, it should be soldered shut. 

And that thought is painful because I do not like soldering and I am so sick of buckles.
Then it hits me:  I'm not the only one in the house who knows how to use a soldering iron.   
Ryan is a robot building fool, and his soldering skills surpassed mine a long time ago.  I asked him if he could close these buckles for me, and he jumped into action. 
Success! 
Success times four! 
I can not even begin to tell you how nice it was to have someone else do this particular job for me.  The cinch is finished, and I didn't have to do it all
After all these years, I finally have an Oompa-Loompa!  I'm never going to have to solder anything again!

4 comments:

  1. woohoo! Good job thinking outside of the Jennifer body for ways to get stuff done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jennifer body is old, tired and still not one hundred percent recovered from last year's accident. It's truly exciting to find *something* I can outsource. Now if I could just talk someone into preparing lace for me...

      :)

      Delete
  2. Nicely done, Ryan – what a great help to support your respectable progress!

    Greetings from Germany,

    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family tackmaking, Wooo-hoo! Congratulations everybody. If nothing else, this shows how guys can get involved in our hobby.
    When I see an open dee like that, I think 'cover it with a roller.' But your solution is good too.

    ReplyDelete