Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spring portraits

Spring break day two has been no more exciting than Spring break day one.  The weather has been unrelentingly grey and drizzly, and today none of us wanted to leave the house!  Still, we've all managed to stay busy.  The boys have been building...
and exploding baking soda and vinegar "bombs." 
Emma is not impressed.
Since I'm not terribly interested in bombs, I've spent most of my day in the studio.  One of yesterday's models did make it into primer...
but she didn't stay primed long!  
As usual, the first coat of primer revealed several areas that needed further prepwork.  I'm working on those now, and hope to start painting her in Emma's likeness before the end of the week. 
My Cooper resin is also going to be a portrait model.
As much as I like this resin, its head does not look very Rev like.  
No matter. As luck would have it, there's another Arabian head in my body stash and it's just the right size!
Although this is also not a perfect match, it's a lot closer than the Cooper head.  With a little bit of customizing, I think it will work quite nicely.
So, that's what's going on today.  Tomorrow is supposed to be warm and sunny again, and maybe--finally--we'll do something fun!

10 comments:

  1. I never was one to explode baking soda and vinegar bombs. Yuck! Hopefully your models will all be primed soon. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got my email last night! It had some pictures of my guinea pigs wearing a saddle!

    Devon Comstock;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Devon! I got your email but the pictures weren't attached. Please send them again--I really want to see your piggies!

      Delete
    2. UHHH! I feel like this only happens to me! It happens all the time actually. Oh well, I'll send them again!

      Devon Comstock

      Delete
  3. THANK YOU for fixing the head angles on the Cooper. The original resin is so overbent and behind the bit that I really could not place it when I judge. (I don't care if that's how the real Arab hunters go...it's wrong!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're preaching to the choir on that one! I don't like behind the bit horses for ANY performance class. I realize that it happens--and places--in real life, but I really, really, REALLY do not like it and will not have it in my herd.

      :)

      Delete
  4. I wasn't familiar with the Cooper resin so I went to the Resin Directory to look it up.
    :) I guess they all can't be a favorite....

    But now I can't wait to see this one once you work your magic on him! Sure to be a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, do we get to make bets on how long your Rev-Cooper is naked after the head transplant???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess--it will be years!

      Delete
    2. Ha! The completed Rev portraitl came home yesterday, just a few days short of two years after I started it. Not bad by my standards!

      Delete