Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The designated driver

If it wasn't for that whole pesky deadline thing, I could happily spend several months picking away at the designated driver dog.  After all, the donut eating dog has been on my desk since the middle of September, and she still has a long way to go.
Erin can't wait that long, however.  She needs the designated driver to be ready for Breyer's Big Easy Bash next month, so I forced myself to call the sculpture done.  I sprayed her with primer... 
and allowed myself one final sculpt/prep session. 
Then it's back in primer and on to paint! 
I'd originally planned to paint her like Max Dalton, but then I dropped her and had to repair a leg.  It occurred to me that this could happen again, and it would be much easier to fix her if she was mostly white.  I think that was a good decision.
Plus, she looks pretty cute with spots! 
After the base coat was sealed, I added shading with pastels. 
I resealed her and moved on to the final details, including her paw pads... 
 and face.
And just like that--the designated driver dog is finished.
It took me nine days to complete this prop.  Granted, I could have made two saddles in that time, but still...  I'm pretty pleased with myself.  She's not quite as perfect as I would have liked, but she's cute and, more importantly, she's done.  Hurray!
Thanks for the fun challenge, Erin.  I think I'll go back to tackmaking now, thank you very much!

9 comments:

  1. Awesome job, Jennifer! I'm sure Erin will love her new prop. If she doesn't, well, then she can just send him to me! Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING JENN!! WOW!
    Such a wonderful lil doggie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Erin is willing to part with her, but if she is, Sara gets first dibs!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Adorable Prop Puppy!!

    (BTW, Your versatility is inspiring to those of us who are sometime too fearful to try new things.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, she's awesome!!! Yes - she will be treasured here as the star of my props - I have a feeling Jennifer won't be into making toooo many more OS dogs, so I better keep this one! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha Jen I will always covet this dog! If Erin ever sells her I'll be right there begging!!

    ReplyDelete