Thursday, January 23, 2014

Timing is everything

In a perfect world, I'd finish old orders before starting new ones.  Sometimes, however, that's just not possible.  Danielle's draft harness is by far the oldest order on my schedule, but it remains on hold while I wait for some of the necessary hardware to come off backorder. 

On the other hand, Marci's packing set has jumped to the head of the line, mostly because the mule it needs to fit is about to set off on a cross country jaunt with Erin.  There's no telling when he'll be back, so I decided it would be best to get this finished before he leaves.
As you can see, the prepping marathon has paid off.  All that carefully skived lace drapes beautifully over the mule's haunches.  There's no sticky wax here--the secret to well-fitting harness is all in the prep.
With the exception of the cinch buckles, every buckle on the harness is a photo-etched Rio Rondo buckle with added tongues and rollers.  In addition to looking nice, the rollers actually serve two functions--they make the harness easier to adjust and protect the leather from the hard edges of the buckles. 
Bronc style halters are very popular right now, so I decided to add one to the set.  
I still need to make finish the panniers and make a lead rope, but as of right now, this set is very nearly complete.  Hopefully, I'll get it in the mail tomorrow, and then I can go back to working on the older orders again!

4 comments:

  1. Is that a custom breyer mule? Very nice set. I want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty tack. Looks so nice! I sent you an email and I hope you got it. Have a good night.
    Sydney Fabis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I wish I could do that! Can you show how to make lead ropes and English spurs? Keep up the good work!

    Thanks for your time!

    ReplyDelete