Sunday, January 26, 2014

Revisiting Rev

Some version of this famous George Morris meme shows up on my Facebook page nearly every other day.
There was no chance of me getting back on Rev after our accident.  As soon as I hit the ground I knew that my collarbone was broken.  I went straight from the ring to the emergency room.  

By the time I was ready to ride again, Rev had left Kenlyn.  Although I was happy for him, I couldn't help but wish that I'd been able to sit on him one more time.  After so many happy miles together, it seemed wrong that our last ride was one that put me in the hospital.

Fortunately, I got the chance for a do-over.  

Rev's new people called yesterday with a few questions about his training.  One thing led to another, and today, I drove out to Morrison, Colorado to see Rev in his new home.
I saw him as soon as I drove up.  He was out in the field with a bunch of his buddies, and I wondered if he'd come to me when I called his name.
"Rev-ah-noooooo!" 
Never a doubt. 
We spent some time getting reacquainted before Karen and Grace arrived.
  Then it was right onto the trailer... 
and across the highway to Bear Creek Lake Park
They asked me to ride him first, and I was more than happy to oblige.   
I put him through his paces, explaining everything I was doing.  He was a little stiff and resistant, but not bad considering. 
And I can't stress this enough:  It felt awesome to be sitting on him again.
After I was done, Grace climbed aboard.  He tried all his tricks with her.  He wouldn't stay on the rail.  He jigged.  He ran through her hands at the trot.  He fussed with his mouth and pulled the reins through her hands.
Despite that, Grace was completely unintimidated.   
She stayed loose and relaxed and listened when I explained how to do a half-halt.  Rev responded nicely, and by the time we were done, they were communicating much better.
I think they're going to be a great team. 
Today was such a good day.  It did my heart good to spend time with Rev, both in and out of the saddle.  His new people are wonderful, and I'm confident he will be happy with them.  It's a happy ending all around.  Hurray!

10 comments:

  1. Glad he has a little girl in his life and that you got to ride him again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the email adress for this blog is braymere@comcast.net, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You emailed about the stall guard, right? I got that, but haven't had a chance to answer yet. I usually catch up on inquiries once or twice a week and almost never on weekends. Rest assured, though, I will get back to you!

      Delete
  3. Does he now board at Soda Lake (C-470 and 285?) Just curious because the people I get my hay from are amazing and they run a boarding facility as well. Either way Rev is probably only a 15 min drive from me now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's just a little ways up the road from Soda Lake in a big pasture behind a Baptist church on Hwy 8. I didn't realize that was so close to you. I'll probably be driving out semi-regularly to help Grace and Rev. Maybe sometime we can meet up! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad that Rev has a good home and a great (new) girl in his life. Oh, but what a touching photo seeing him coming to greet you... *snif*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, that was so sweet when he came when you called him <3

    I'm also glad to see he's gt a good life with his new owner. She looks like a determined girl too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see you got a "do-over" and was able to end with good memories of Rev. He looks like he has a nice new place to live and I hope you'll be able to visit more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you got to see and ride him again! I'm sure it's also reassuring to meet his new family and see that he will have a good life with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a good teacher!! have you thought about doing this more often? wonderful skills!

    ReplyDelete