Saturday, January 11, 2014

Purdy please

I am not as sneaky as Tiffany, but I have a few tricks that I use when I really, really, really want a new Purdy horse.

The first is to resurrect old, almost-forgotten tackmaking projects. I've had Tiffany's "historic sidesaddle bridle" pinned to the wall in my studio since the last time I visited her in Illinois.  It looks okay at first glance...
but closer inspection reveals a lot of wear and tear.  Check out that big splice on the noseband.  No wonder I've put this off for so long.  This bridle doesn't need fixing, it needs a complete overhaul! 
I re-used the bit, browband and gold keepers, but all the leather had to go.  Additionally, I swapped the handmade buckles for Rio Rondo d-rings, and added extra buckles to the cheekpieces and reins. 
The end result is a cleaner, more refined version of the original bridle.  
When I run out of old projects, I turn to trick number two and start soliciting new projects.  That's how I discovered that Tiffany needs a Tennessee Walking Horse bridle.  
Apparently, Lady Liberty is going to be getting a new Walkaloosa cousin!
Finally, I move on to trick number three--begging.  So, how about it, Tiffany?  Do sleigh bells, breeching and two bridles equal one paint job?  Please?  Purdy please?

6 comments:

  1. This sort of thing makes me wish I lived closer in. But I enjoy it as is... Your three tricks all sound tried and true (number two especially works on me), and should serve well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I'd love to see Lady Liberty's new cousin in his/her bridle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the bridle with the gold. Looks very sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious, what brand of pencil do you use for your leather lace hole punch? I've been trying a bunch, and even though they are metal, they always seem to break.

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my punches are Staedtler pencils. You can usually find them in the drafting section of a craft or office supply store.

      Delete