Monday, July 13, 2015

The nature of horses

Nothing is easy, especially when it comes to my front yard. Our weekend project hit some snags, and we are looking at least one more full day of yard work. 

I could write an entire post about how unhappy this makes me, but instead of focusing on my own landscaping woes, I'm going to share a whole lot of landscaping awesomeness, courtesy of the Denver Botanic Gardens.
The Gardens are currently hosting an exhibit called The Nature of Horses by the renowned artist, Deborah Butterfield.
Each of the fourteen featured sculptures was built from found materials such as wood, metal, sticks and mud and then cast in bronze. 
Carol and I visited the Gardens on a rainy morning last week.
We met Argus, 
Crane, 
Charlo and Ahulani, 
Hawai'i, 
Many Glacier, 
Red Forest, 
Silver Bow and Cascade,  
Storm Castle, 
Tracery, 
Whitebark... 
and Willy. 
Somehow we managed to miss Luna. This makes me sad because I really wanted to see them all, but it also provides the perfect excuse to return for a second visit. Not that I need one, really. I very much enjoyed this exhibit, and would be happy to return again and again. 
However, I did have a couple minor quibbles: I would have liked to see horses in positions other than standing or lying down. Also, I wish they had ears. A few of the horses looked fine earless,
but others looked fairly reptilian.
The Nature of Horses runs through October 18 at the Denver Botanic Gardens. If you're in the area, it's definitely worth a visit. 

And now... I'm back to shoveling. Yippee! 

1 comment:

  1. Art criticism is good; I agree with you about the ears. Perhaps, like eyes in fossils, they're too much to ask for.

    ReplyDelete