Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The International Museum of the Horse

Although I've never been to BreyerFest, I have spent a lot of time at the Kentucky Horse Park. In fact, during my mobile tack shop days, it wasn't unusual for me to spend as many as five weeks there each year. That was a long time. The park has changed a lot in the past twenty years, and I've been told that I wouldn't recognize it.

That may be true, but in viewing my friend, Janna Shepherd's Breyerfest photos, I've discovered at least one thing has remained mostly the same. That is the International Museum of the Horse.
With over 60,000 square feet, the International Museum of the Horse is the largest and most comprehensive equine museum in the world.
Permanent museum exhibits highlight the history of the horse from ancient times...
to the modern era.
There's a lot to see, but what I remember most is the large number of taxidermied horses.
They are everywhere.
The chariot horses...
and the Arabian were featured in a blog post I wrote in 2009.
They look exactly the same today as they did in 1993! For some reason, this makes me ridiculously happy. 
This horse is boarding a boat bound for the New World. 
Safe travels, old boy!
There's a lot of tack in this part of the museum.
 These saddles date back to the Civil War.
In addition to the full size exhibits...
there are also a large number of small scale dioramas. 
 So many teeny tiny horses!
I especially like this one. 
These models are a bit larger. 
Twenty years ago, I sighed over the harnesses and thought, "Someday, I'll make something like that."
There are also a number of models depicting different colors...
and breeds. These were sculpted by Francis Eustis and are quite lovely. 
 I believe I sighed over these, too!
Thank you so much for sharing these pictures, Janna. I really enjoyed this trip down memory lane!

2 comments:

  1. Fun fact: the human skeleton is made up of 12 different people but the horse if from one single animal. I learned that from a very helpful park volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures! Thank you for featuring them on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete