Monday, November 25, 2013

Momentum

At the time of my accident, I had a lot of momentum.  

I was in one of those wonderful phases where the tack almost seemed to be making itself.  I'd established a really good, really productive work routine and  was simultaneously working on three separate tack sets--Danielle's long overdue draft harness, Margaret's huntseat set, and a Western bridle and breast collar for my own Lady Liberty.  All three were coming together beautifully, and I felt invincible.  I truly believed I'd have all my old orders cleared by the holidays.  

It's tempting to say that all that came to a crashing halt when Rev and I hit the ground on October 19.  That wouldn't be completely accurate, however.  Even though I was broken and battered, I felt the power of all that good momentum.  I got back into the studio as soon as possible, and I managed to update my blog every single day.  In a strange sort of way, I still felt invincible.
Unfortunately, momentum can only take a person so far. 

This past week has been pretty tough.  I'm still healing well physically, but emotionally, I am worn out.  I'm tired of being injured.  I'm tired of the pain and the restrictions.  I'm tired of not being able to drive or ride or walk my dogs or pick up things that weigh more than five pounds.  I'm tired of not being able to make tack for more than an hour at a stretch.  Mostly, I'm just so very, very tired.

I do not feel invincible and all that good momentum is gone.
And yet, I'm not ready to give into inertia.

Despite a complete and utter lack of motivation today, I did manage to make a halter for my Model Horse Blab Secret Santa.  I also set up the photo tent and took some photos.  Those were edited and uploaded to my blog.  It may not seem like much, but from where I'm sitting, this is a major accomplishment.  Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to build on that success.  Maybe I'll make a bridle instead of a halter, and maybe I'll write a post that's worth reading. 

 Maybe, just maybe, I'll find that momentum again.

12 comments:

  1. Your tack is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You WILL find your momentum. And maybe it won't be tomorrow. But it will come in time. You are making progress, no matter how small. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Momentum comes and goes. It's like the tides. It will come back again when it is ready. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Jen, I hope you start feeling a little better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to you for staying strong! Please don't worry about finishing the harness any time soon. My Scarlett is likely to be unpainted for quite some time yet, as we're buying a fixer upper and busy season is right around the corner! Happy healing thoughts coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there! You'll find your groove soon enough and your momentum will come back. Just give it time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I must wander off to Iowa this weekend or I would be wandering over to your house to take you to do something fun! Soon... I promise... SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice halter..P.S if you get apoxie, what color do I get?? Cause i'm trying to make trad. trees, so yea..


    P.S if you want the tutriol then go to Breyerhorses.com and go to community then go to News,if you scroll down youll see ”Sommer Prosser Tree Making”or something like that,click on the link..Good luck.

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay strong and hang in there, you will be riding in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will heal and get your momentum back. I so understand not being able to work for more than an hour at a time....it will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That whole being tired thing is your body using all its resources to heal itself - it's a good sign!

    My tough-as-nails military officer friend says that when he broke his collarbone, he just put his head on his knees and cried while they carried him into the ambulance. Never had the pleasure myself but I've heard it's the worst broken bone pain there is. It's not surprising you're having a tough time. You're holding up really well considering. You've got nothing to apologize for.

    ReplyDelete