Sunday, November 17, 2013

Life after Rev

Rev was never supposed to be my forever horse.

There was no feeling of "love at first sight" on the day we met.  Cute face aside, I was completely underwhelmed by his looks, gender, breed and ride-ability.  In fact, it's fair to say that I picked him solely for his location and price tag.  
The first several months of our relationship were filled with jigging and head tossing,
bone jarring trots,
and lots of cross cantering.
Despite that, I couldn't help but like the goofy little Arab.  What he lacked under saddle, he more than made up for in personality.  Even on our worst days, he always made me happy.
And eventually...
the riding part... 
got a lot better.
We had a wonderful summer together.
For the last six months, he's been part of my family... 
and my friends were his friends.
I would have loved for things to have stayed exactly the way they were, but life doesn't work like that.  Everything came to a crashing halt last month, and after a lot of painful consideration, I've reluctantly made the decision to let Rev go.  

He wasn't supposed to be my forever horse.  I always knew we'd part ways sooner or later, but that doesn't make it any easier.  Despite my initial misgivings, I fell in love with that goofy little Arab.
Words can not express how much I am going to miss him.

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I know how bad it hurts to lose your lease horse that you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be fine. I've had a number of people offer me some very nice horses to lease/free ride. My days with Rev may be numbered, but my time at Kenlyn is not. In fact, my future there looks very bright and exciting.

    I do worry about Rev, though. I'm doing all I can to help him find a good home, but he's not mine and I don't have a say in what happens to him. Hopefully, he will find someone who will love him as much as I do.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you have to give him up, Jennifer. I have no doubt everything will work out the way it's supposed to. Keep your chin up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always hard to let go a friend, even when it's the right thing to do. But I'm sure Rev will understand, he's a pretty smart little Arab! Just keep thinking positive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So touching...I have tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how hard it is..Every horse is like a person,so every time you loose a person,that's how it feels..Good luck healing

    rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the feeling to give up a lease horse... An Arab I was leasing for a year turned out to be my absolute favorite horse I've ever gotten the privlage to work with, she taught me so much and everyday I regret giving her up. But life goes on, everything happens for a reason and things do get better... Even if its hard sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh bummer! Is he being sold or just leased out to someone else?

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's currently listed both for lease and for sale. I think his owner would entertain offers in either direction. He's a very nice horse, and I've really enjoyed my time with him. I hope he finds a great new person who has the time and money to keep him going for years to come. In the meantime, I'm still spending a lot of time with him. I take him out for grooming and noms every time I go to the barn. He's enjoying that, and I plan to keep on doing this until someone tells me to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look who I found while browsing craigslist!! http://denver.craigslist.org/grd/4195444032.html I'm not in a position to get a second horse yet, will hopefully be looking for a husband horse next year. Just window shopping! Hope he finds a good home!

    ReplyDelete