Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sunshine Award

Every couple months or so, a new blog award makes the rounds.  Right now it's the "Sunshine Award."
Braymere Custom Saddlery was nominated for the award by the Sprinkler Bandits.  This is a  real horse blog I've only recently started reading, and I have to admit, the nomination was a real surprise.  I am always shocked and extremely flattered to discover a non model horse hobbyist among my readers.  Thank you, Sprinkler Bandit!
The sunshine award is for people who 'positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere'. The nominee of this award must do the following: thank the person who nominated them, nominate 10 bloggers of their own, answer the 10 questions given to you, post them, and add the Sunshine Award Button to the blog.

On to the questions!  Because I've read at least half a dozen horse bloggers answer this same list of questions, I thought I would be weird creative and tackle them from a strictly model horse perspective.

1. Mares or Geldings?

This one is easy.
I like pretty...
and there's nothing prettier than a really feminine mare!

2. English or Western?

Also easy.  I make one Western saddle every other year or so.
On the other hand, it's the English saddles that keep Braymere Custom Saddlery in business!  English, FTW!

3. Do you prefer younger or older horses?

I love, love, love my old carpet herd...
but is there anything cuter than a sassy little piece of baby resin?  This one is a tie.

4. Have you trained made a horse from ground zero?

Much to my regret, I have yet to sculpt a horse from scratch and see it all the way through the painting stage.  However, I have taken a few extremely rough waste mold castings and turned them into something special.
This did require a little help from my friends, though.  I guess that means, the answer to this question is no.  :(

5. Do you prefer riding or groundwork?

This is kind of like the English vs. Western question.  Ground work is fun, but it's never going to pay the bills.
I am all about the riding!

6. Do you board your horse or keep him at home?

I have hundreds of horses!  Can you imagine the board bill if I didn't keep them at home?
That said, I do maintain a herd of pensioners in my parents' California basement,
and two of my best Original Finish show horses...
live with Teresa most of the time.

7. Do you use all natural things or just commercial stuff (the products you use)?

Hmmmmm.
I really do not know...
how to answer this question!


8. All tacked up or bareback?

At risk of sounding like a broken record, bareback is fun...


but saddles pay the bills.   All the plastic horses must have saddles!




9. Equestrian  Hobby role model?

I have many, but for the purposes of today's post, I'll limit myself to two.  The first is Carol Williams of Rio Rondo, who taught an entire generation of hobbyists how to make tack and contines to supply both beginners and experienced tackmakers with everything they need to practice their trade.  She is also my all time favorite finishwork artist. 
My other hobby hero is Tiffany Purdy.  Like Carol Williams, she is a true renaissance woman.  She is a teacher, mother, horse breeder, artist...
and one of the best and most creative performance showers ever. 
Most importantly, she is a generous and amazing friend who can rock the pink like no one else!

10. What's your one main goal while being in the horse world?

I am still--always--working toward creating a perfect miniature huntseat saddle.  
My  Ten Plus One Nominees

Most of my favorite real horse blogs have already been nominated, but I think that Matt the Cowpony and She Moved to Texas may have dodged the bullet thus far.  As far as model horse blogs go, I would recommend everything on my sidebar with special emphasis on the most regular posters: CK Tiny Tack, Field of Dolls Studio, Desktop Stables, Shoestring Stables, Breyer History Diva, PawPrints Saddlery, Desert Night CreationsKnight's Tale Studio and Timaru Star II.

15 comments:

  1. This is so amazing. Thank you, I never dreamed... I think question 7 could be answered Natural, since a large part of your consumable supply material is leather.
    I have you to thank for pointing me to Equestrian Ink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to spend some time updating my Real Horse Blog list. It's waaaaaay out of date... Glad you were able to find something there that you liked, though! Equestrain Ink is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  2. Love these answers, haha! Definitely a nice break from all the ones I've been reading lately :) Thanks for the nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, is that Ichabod is see peeking off the shelf next to Brighty? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ichabod and Brighty are always side by side. It's been that way since 1977!

      Delete
  4. Awesome... so awesome... :D And thanks for the reminder since I need to find your two and bring them back to you for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw this blog I was so excited to see you were nominated (you totally deserve it!!!) but then to see that you turned around and also nominated by blog...no words. You are so beyond awesome. I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i learned about about your blog about 1 year ago,and trust me your blog has grown alot..you inspired me to make bridles that look like yours...,well besides LSQ..i still make my own buckles and you have still inspired me to skive my leather lace..P.S hope you win.....:D

    REBEKAH

    ReplyDelete
  7. There really isn't anything to win except the award itself. Everyone who's nominated and passes it along is a winner!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your answers!! How fun. I really didn't know anything about model horse showing until I stumbled across your blog a while back. I'm totally blown away by the stuff you're able to recreate. Would you be interested in doing an interview about model horse tack/showing for my real horse blog? I think it would be a ton of fun. If that's something you're up for, please email me at sprinklerbandits at gmail dot com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that was certainly lots of fun and interesting, too!

    Hope your healing is coming along..... {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your answers were so fun to read. :D Thank you for the nomination as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your an inspiration Jen! I love reading your blog....over the years I have picked up so many useful tips and ideas thanks to your explanations and great piccies.

    I always think it is such a shame people start blogs but don't continue them or move over to facebook, that's just not the same. Keep blogging, your doing a fab job and the nomination is very well deserved ;)

    Thank you also for mentioning me :)

    ReplyDelete