Friday, November 8, 2013

Just About Breyer

A few day ago, I received my copy of Breyer's annual Just About Horses magazine that features my Royal Canadian Mounted Police tack on the cover.
Since then, every person who's entered my house has been forced to admire my handiwork.
Dogs, too! 
Because I am still a horse crazy twelve year old at heart, my favorite part of the entire magazine is the inside cover where my name is listed.  Even looking at this picture now makes me want to run around the room and squeal, "Look, look, look!  That's my name in JAH!
However, that's not the only thing that's exceptional about this fifty three page publication.  There are a number of good articles, covering topics as diverse as the racehorse Frankel and how to make a traditional scale tree.  I especially enjoyed the profile of my friend, Anne Field.
I also liked this piece about the man behind all my favorite childhood friends.
Extra bonus!  There's a picture of the first Just About Horses magazine I ever owned.  I wasn't a subscriber in 1977, but I had written a letter to Breyer asking them how the models were made.  They sent me this issue by way of explanation.  I've long since lost track of my copy, so it really did make me happy to see a picture of it again.
There are also pages and pages of Breyer products to admire.  I am not really a Breyer collector anymore, but there were a few horses that managed to push my "I want" button.  This is one:
As is this:
And holy moly!  Who wouldn't want this one?  What an exciting new sculpture from Morgen Kilbourn!
I have spent so much time showing off and thumbing through my new JAH that it's already looking a little bit dog-eared.  No matter.  The good folks at Reeves International (Breyer's parent company) were kind enough to send me two copies.  The second one is hidden away on a high shelf in my studio.  When I have the time, I'm going to frame the cover and hang in my studio.  That way, whenever I have a visitor, I can point to it and say, "Look, look, look!  My work is on the cover of JAH!"

10 comments:

  1. And you're just as excited as you SHOULD be - this is such an amazing accomplishment! :-)

    Where can us humble folks who don't subscribe get our hands on a copy of this fabulous magazine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that it's available as a single copy. I'm pretty sure it goes out to everyone who's a member of one of their clubs, but I don't know if that's just one specific club or all of them. Undoubtedly the information is on their website (or in the magazine).

      Delete
  2. OMG hope next issue, you will get it too.:-P

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a hard time because of that picture of the horse by Morgen Kilbourn. I think I may really need to have that. But then I'd have to join the club and I don't know if I can bring myself to do that.
    Congratulations again on your cover tack, it's awesome! And now that they have seen your work in person I bet they will ask you to make tack for them in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you, too! I knew you'd had a couple covers, but not that many!

      And just to set the record straight--this was the second time I've made tack for Breyer. The first was for the World Equestrian Games Diorama Project. My tack set was featured in JAH that time, too, but not on the cover.

      Delete
    2. I was almost going to mention the WEG project. I had forgotten JAH did a spread. To clarify, now that they have personally gotten to play with your tack (I think the WEG assembly team played with everything for that project) maybe now they will want to get more (and more and more and more). And yes, seeing your name in JAH is VERY cool!

      Delete
  4. That Indian Pony is my number one thing on my Chirstmas list! He's so adorable! Did they mention in JAH that 1 in 6 of them have Native American markings? It's really cool. I'm so happy for you! I didn't know they'd put your name in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the Indian pony with the Native American markings. He is gourgeous! Love him! Congrats on getting your name in JAH. I think I should subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you got one with markings? Congradulations :D They're beautiful! I hope I get one with markings, but it's fine if he doesn't have them. :)

      Delete
  6. Being on the cover of JAH is pretty much the coolest thing ever. I would frame a copy too!

    ReplyDelete