Sunday, November 10, 2013

My mother's going to kill me

I'm not kidding, Mom.  You should not read this post.  Just turn off the computer and walk away.  Please.

Carol took me to the barn for a carrot visit today.
The weather was absolutely gorgeous.  It was warm and sunny and people were wearing t-shirts.  
I couldn't help but feel a little jealous as I watched my friends saddle up and ride away. 
And then...  fate intervened in the form of Deb and Sweet Pea. 
Sweet Pea is a Morgan/Mustang cross mare who is probably the most bombproof horse on the Kenlyn premises.  Heck, she might even be the most bombproof horse in the state of Colorado.  She is exactly the right kind of horse for a half broken rider like me, and there she was all saddled up, standing right in front of me.  I looked at Deb and Deb looked at me, and even though we're old enough to know better, we both knew what was going to happen next.
I totally understand that this is setting a bad example.  Broken people shouldn't ride, and even the safest horse is never one hundred percent safe. 
Still, this was the most fun three minute ride ever.  
And just to prove that I'm not a complete idiot, I did have a sidewalker. 
Needless to say, nothing happened.  I didn't get injure myself and neither my collarbone nor my leg hurt at all.  Truthfully, it's far more painful to fold the laundry or cook dinner than it is to ride Sweet Pea!

I can also assure everyone (i.e. Mom), that I don't plan to do this again--at least not until the doctor says it's ok.  My last ride ended with my horse upside down and on top of me.  That was not a good experience, and I really needed to put something happy between that day and this.  Now I have.  I promise that for the rest of this month at least, all my barn days will be strictly carrot visits!
P.S. To my mom--because I know you ignored my warnings and read this anyway--folding laundry really does hurt more than riding Sweet Pea.  I'm not making that up!

8 comments:

  1. Moms don't understand but us horsie people, who've been in your position, totally do. I wanted to ride in a parade with a cast on my arm that had been the result of a fall from a horse. Hahaha. Sometimes you just need to ignore the 'rules' a bit and do something that makes your insides feel good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Brenda. When I was 9 y/o I broke my arm falling from my pony and a week later I was riding with a cast on my arm.

      Delete
  2. hahahaha! It was a glorious day....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice day,also nice saddle:-P

    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha,you couldn't keep yourself away from a saddle for long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes you just need a sweet pea. :) Glad it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, not least because Sweet Pea looks just like my own horse, 35 years ago. Three minutes? That's a carousel ride...

    ReplyDelete