Thursday, November 14, 2013

Whining

I had my first post-surgical check-up yesterday.

Ever the optimist, I felt confident that the doctor would take a look at my x-rays, prescribe a week or two of physical therapy and then life would go back to usual.  The whole accident thing would be nothing but an amusing anecdote by the year's end.

This delusional happy mindset was reinforced when I noticed this knock off Remington decorating the doctor's waiting room.  I'm sure there's supposed to be reins and a gun, but to my mind, this looks like a guy riding a horse with not one but two slings.  Awesome!
Sadly, it turns out that my cheerful confidence in my body's healing powers was a wee bit unrealistic.  I am healing well, but I'm healing slowly.  I still can't drive, and the doctor won't even discuss riding until I've completed six full weeks of twice weekly therapy.

That is not what I wanted to hear.

I suppose I should have seen this coming, but somehow I'd managed to convince myself that all would be well soon.  I'm adjusting to the new reality, but it's been a rough day for me emotionally.  I'm tired of being injured.  Can I just push the fast forward button and have it be 2014?

8 comments:

  1. Poor kid! patience is hard to find, especially when you're waiting on a bone to heal. But it hasn't stopped you blogging. Or tackmaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that, Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, when the Dr. said no riding did you say "too late!"

    Heal well. It'll be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the last three plus weeks, I've been concentrating on all the good stuff. The accident could have been SO much worse. Rev was on my leg a long time and it didn't break. Yay! Rev got up and walked off sound. Yay! My husband was able to take a week off of work and help me. Yay! All my friends have been awesome and pitched in to help me out. Yay! I'm able bodied enough to make a little bit of tack and go on a Sweet Pea "carousel ride." Yay!

    Today was the first day the bad stuff (still broken in body and financially broke from a rash of recent house and car repairs) really crowded in and overwhelmed me. I decided to give myself the day to vent. And wallow.

    I will be my normal cheerful self soon enough, but today I'm whiney.

    And you're right, Anne. My doctor is MEAN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nooooo! That's too long to not be in a saddle! Maybe you could just say "I haven't been in a saddle for two weeks," and just go bareback. Technically it's not lying, ahah. I wish you luck, hope you heal quickly. Tell your bones to be more like Rev! Be quicker! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least the surgery will make your recovery time much much shorter. My boyfriend was still in agony 3-4 weeks afterwards and even now, 2.5 years later, he still gets twinges from his collar bone (plus his left shoulder is now 1" shorter than his right!). He was whiney for ages!

    ReplyDelete