Monday, August 22, 2016

Back to work

I haven't made any tack since my dad died.

Actually, it's been longer than that. With one small exception, I haven't made any tack since the beginning of July.

I've wanted to, of course. I've sat in my studio and started numerous small projects, all of which were abandoned long before completion. This kind of tack making slump isn't terribly surprising. I always find it hard to work when I'm in the midst of emotional upheaval.

But.

The Jennifer Show is rapidly approaching, and I need to make those Championship saddles. This must happen. IOU's are not an option.

So, today I picked through my leather supply, and chose the best petite tooling calf hide I have left.
I dyed that a deep chocolate brown.
While that was drying, I cleared a space on my very messy work desk. 
Then, I built... 
and covered a pair of saddle trees. 
They may not look like much yet, but this feels like a real achievement. Any progress is good progress, and this is real progress. With any luck these saddles will be done by the end of the work week!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you!
    I can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've been able to start getting your hands messy again. I hope the week goes well for you and those saddles will come out amazing, your leather magic won't allow anything less! :)

    ReplyDelete