Thursday, August 11, 2016

Begin again

Today was the first day of school.
This felt like both the shortest and the longest summer in recent memory, and I had mixed feelings as I dropped the kids off at school this morning. On the one hand, I would have liked to have another couple weeks to spend with Ryan and James. There were a lot of things we'd planned to do this summer that didn't happen. I feel bad about that, but at the same time, I am really glad this long, hot, sad summer is finally over.
I usually spend the first day of school working in my studio. I am at least a month behind on everything so this would have been the smart choice today. Instead, however, I decided to opt for a little horse therapy.
As is often the case, I chose Santana to be my therapist.
He and I had barely stepped off the Kenlyn property, when I spied a hawk sitting on the tumbledown fence between the golf course and the barn.
As I looked at the hawk...
I remembered a comment someone had written on my Facebook page when I first announced that my dad had been moved into hospice.
Michele's words hadn't resonated at the time. My Dad wasn't really a nature guy, and I couldn't picture him using a bird to send a message. Besides, hawks aren't exactly a rarity around here. I see them soaring overhead on most of my rides. How would I know it was him?
I have never seen a hawk on this fence.
After a couple minutes, he looked directly at me...
and flew away. 
I watched him until he was out of sight. 
A hawk is just a hawk, and I don't really believe this was a sign from the great beyond. Still, he made me feel better and more optimistic about the upcoming days and weeks. I'm glad this summer is over, and I am ready for the new school year to begin.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss!�� I am not looking forward to my own parents leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He may not have been much of a nature guy, but he knew you are. Maybe that is the answer you need to ponder as to why the hawk was there for you at that time. He knew that you would notice and give thought to it. I'm sorry for your loss. Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Anonymous nailed it....your Dad came looking for you in a form he knew YOU WOULD RECOGNIZE...treasure that....

      Delete