Thursday, January 22, 2015

A night at the rodeo

Although I've visited the National Western Stock Show every year for the last decade or so, until yesterday, I'd never attended its signature event: the Pro Rodeo.
I went with a group of my barn buddies--Karen, Cori, Mary Jo and Cindy.  
We arrived in just enough time to buy dinner and settle into our seats before the show began.
Competition opened with the Bareback Broncs.  We were seated on the other side of the arena, so I didn't take a lot of photos of the roughstock.
The action moved to our side of the Coliseum...
for the next event, which was steer wrestling.
The reigning World Champion, Luke Branquinho, was in the house,
but he missed his steer.  That happened to a lot of the steer wrestlers yesterday.
Team roping was next.
The steers mostly outmaneuvered the cowboys in this competition as well.
The action moved back to the other end of the ring for the Saddle Broncs...
before returning to our side for the Tie Down Roping.
This isn't really my favorite class, but I do like watching the horses work that rope!
The last two events were Barrel Racing...
and Bull Riding.
The rodeo closed with a short presentation about the American West.
 Then the riders raced of the ring...
and everyone headed home!  

8 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! :) What is the horse with the "racing blinders" being ponied by another rider?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the steer wrestling horses. The other side of the hood did not have an eye cup. I'm guessing the purpose was to keep his focus on the steer and not the rest of the ring.

      Delete
  2. When I first saw the bull riding picture I thought " why is he standing in a Pepsi?!"
    Then I looked closer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, the Stock Show still happens! Thank you so much for sharing this... I see a "lettered" breastcollar (Luke Branquinho's) which I haven't seen before. Yet another trick for model tackmakers to figure out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura Skillern is doing some really innovative tackwork these days. Just yesterday, she posted a photo of a beautiful lettered breastcollar on her studio Facebook page.

      Delete
  4. You're so lucky! I love going to the rodeo, the atmosphere is always fantastic and the events are so much fun to watch. I'm so glad you got to attend with your friends and were kind enough to share with us.

    LM

    ReplyDelete