Sunday, January 16, 2011

Stock Show 2011

Teresa and I went to the National Western Stock Show yesterday.
It was crowded.
I'm not kidding.  In all the years I've been going to the Stock Show, I have never seen crowds like this.
Those crowds made it hard to navigate the trade show, but there's good stuff for sale there so Teresa and I persisted.
There was also a lot of pink stuff--pink hats,
pink sparkle ponies,
even pink tack!
Close up of the browband.  'Fess up people, I know you want to own this!
I'm not so sure about this one.  I think that silver studs, pink hair and zebra print all on one bridle just might be overkill.
One thing we did not see a lot of were Breyer horses.  There were a few here and there, but none that interested me as much as these little Breyer knock-offs.
One of my favorite exhibits was the Toyota Coloring Station.
Who hasn't wanted to draw on a car with a Sharpie maker?
This is what I drew:
Eventually we wandered upstairs to see the pony ride ponies.
After that, we headed over to the Stadium Arena and watched a little bit of the cow show.
Even that was crowded.
Finally, we walked across the parking lot to see the horses and guess what?  The stables were crowded, too.
We were too cheap to buy tickets for the Wild West Show, so we hung out at the warm up ring and watched the performers there.
Honestly, I don't think we missed much.  
The warm up ring was pretty exciting...
and as an added bonus, we got a good close up look at both the performers...
and their tack!
We ended our day by watching the $5,000 Open Jumper Stakes which was held in the Events Center arena.  Historically I've had a hard time getting good pictures in this building, so I was interested to see how I'd do with the new camera.  The results were pretty hit or miss.  Some pictures turned out ok...
 but a lot of them looked like this.  Frustrating!
I had only planned on going to the Stock Show once this year.  However, after looking at the day's pictures, I think I've figured out what I was doing wrong.  In the interests of testing my theory, I really ought to make a return trip...  Hmmmm, which day has the mule performance classes?

7 comments:

  1. That looks like our Midwest Horse fair. Can hardly move through most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there yesterday too. But mostly at the kiddie venues. Russell got to have a pony ride on the little bay (Dr. Pepper) and his cousin rode the black and white pinto (Dolly).

    Haven't downloaded pictures to see if any came out. I had some of the child hunter classes (I think) that were timed well but still WAY too dark. I also didn't get too close to the ring because I didn't want to hear the hysterics from the toddler that "Mama" abandoned him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right--it was a mob scene. I heard they ran out of parking spaces...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Regan, I'm sorry we missed you! We didn't get there until the afternoon so all the hunter classes were over, and you heard right--there was NO parking left in the official stock show lots. Fortunately, we did find a place across the street from the F lot so we were able to walk there and catch the shuttle. It was just crazy how crowded it was. I don't know how you managed it with a toddler!

    In regards to the pictures--mine were too dark until I changed the settings on the camera. Then they were well lit but blurry. I need to figure out how to get the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun if you go back next weekend :) I'm sure you'll go on Friday when I have to work or I'd go with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoot in manual mode! If you want to freeze action - increase the ISO and shutter speed. Your lens "speed" also should be taken into account, I shoot all my action shots at f/2.8 - unless it's bright middle-of-the-day sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo Ooo please go to the mule performance classes day ;) I love long ears <333

    lol Thank you always for posting such great photos. I am "stuck" in college and don't live in the best horse country anyway. So, whenever you post photos of shows, it was like I got to go, too :D ahah thanks for bringing me along ;)

    <3 Sarahbeth

    ReplyDelete