Sunday, January 4, 2015

Fun with tack

Estudioso's long reining bridle and surcingle are done.
Eventually, I'd like to add a saddle blanket and a traditionally dressed Spanish handler.  However, I am pleased with everything as is.
I especially like the reins.  It takes a lot of patient prepwork to get them to drape like that!
After I was done playing with Fred, I tried everything on Castillo.
It's a perfect fit--Yay! 
Just for grins, here's a picture of a similar tack set made in 1991.
It's been a good holiday season.  I'm glad I was able to squeeze this one in before I go back to work tomorrow!

10 comments:

  1. Silly question of the day: Why doesn't this set use a throatlatch? The reference photos I have, like the one below, show a white throatlatch.

    http://tpg.thephotographersguide.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Work-on-the-Long-Rein_Spanish-Riding-School_Michael-Rzepa.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a silly question.

      This is a Spanish set on an Andalusian. The photo referenced is from the Spanish Riding School, which mostly uses Lipizzans. It's not the same thing.

      In researching Spanish bridles with the fringe browband, I found roughly equal numbers of bridles with and without the throatlatch. This was one of my main reference pages.

      Delete
  2. Seeing the "before" and "after" of your tackmaking career gives me hope for my own skills! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing tack/set ups besides just English and Western. It turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering, what do you use for your snaffle bits?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a vacation well spent :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is some amazing skiving work on those long reins! Gorgeous drape :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I spend way too much time on leather prep, but I really do think it makes all the difference.

      Delete