Saturday, December 13, 2014

Braymere by Breyer

Earlier this year, I was contacted by a representative from Breyer, who asked if I would be interested in designing two tack sets for the 2015 Breyer line.

Of course, I said yes.  The idea of having my tack produced by Breyer was absolutely intoxicating--both as an artist and also as a horse crazy little girl.  Honestly, I couldn't say yes fast enough.  

I've worked for Breyer before, but customer aside, there was nothing extraordinary about those orders.  They told me what they wanted, and I did my best to build it, no details spared.  That's business as usual.

Designing something for mass production is an entirely different matter.  I had to seriously adjust my mindset, and concentrate on the essential basics rather than the over the top extras.  

With that in mind, I created this sawbuck packing set.
The single rigged sawbuck saddle is based on a real saddle that was displayed at this year's Rocky Mountain Horse Expo.
Here it is with the panniers in place.
This is Breyer's version.  It looks almost exactly the same!
The second set was harder.  Breyer wanted a complete polo outfit, and polo tack is all about extras.  This could have easily become a messy jumble of straps, and I spent a lot of time deciding how much was enough.
In the end, I went with a plain snaffle bridle with a  separate standing martingale and breastplate. 
It's very hard to mass produce a good English saddle.  I tried to make my prototypes as simple as possible without sacrificing good, clean design.
Here's my version...
and here's Breyer's.
I know I'm biased, but I think this is quite possibly the best tack Breyer has ever produced.  It far exceeds even my most optimistic expectations.  Everything looks neat and clean, functional and to scale, correct and detailed.  I am so pleased, and I am proud to have had a part in its creation.  Thank you, Breyer.  I can't wait to see it in hand!

27 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so amazing! Congratulations! Also, that will definetly be joining my collection as soon as it is released!
    ~AHG488

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Congratulations!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this is the best tack from Breyer that I've seen. I made a Marwari set for them this year and agree...it is very hard to figure out how to change to the idea of mass produced tack. They did ok with what I sent them, but NOTHING like what they did this time!!!! It looks awesome! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO impressed with the quality of the tack. My contact told me that they were really trying to up their game with these sets, and did they ever! I can't get over how nice it looks. I want to buy both sets and sit on the floor and play with them.

      :D

      Also, I really liked your Marwari tack!

      Delete
    2. Awesome job Jennifer! Do you know if the panniers on the breyer version open?

      Delete
  4. Yay! I love both of them! But if I had to choose.... I'd probably say the packing set is my favorite. I really like it because I feel like it's really unique compared to most of Breyer's tack. Either way, both of them are awesome and congrats! You did an amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both. I think i like the polo set best because Breyer has learned to *DUN DUN DUUN* put PANELS on the saddles. It is the best tack breyer has ever made. If I had the money, i would buy the packing set and modify it so it had a few more things, because as Jennifer said, she tried to make it simple enoght for mass production. This is awesome

      Delete
  5. When I first saw those sets I though "I wonder of Mrs. Buxton had anything to do with this...." Funny that you had everything to do with it! Now I am buying both sets! Congratulations!
    ~CBL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is amazing! I was always a fan of your creations. And having a possiblity of actually owning one, that's just awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, good job! I think you need to design more tack for Breyer, it looks way better than normal Breyer tack! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is SO awesome - Congratulations!! They do look really good, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhhhhhh, that's AMAZING!
    No joke, when I first saw that Mule set my first thought honestly was 'heh, that reminds me of a Braymere set!'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh congratulations Jen!! I'm so happy for you! Breyer have really upped their game, those sets look fab - all helped along by your design work of course! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so thrilled for you! I know excited this makes you and it's SO COOL that you and Breyer were able to team up once again to make new things to make the hobby better :) GREAT JOB and CONGRATS :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely.
    I'm curious how do you protect against damage model horse head (in situation when you have no body models)? It's difficult for me, because I haven't got many models, and I have to take one of they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrap them in Saran wrap to protect the paint.

      Delete
    2. Here's a tack tip I wrote about protecting your models.

      Delete
  13. Congrats! That so explains why this tack is so much better than other Breyer production stuff. I'm so getting that polo pony--I've been wanting them to release a traditional size polo pony forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so incredible! You've definitely helped them take their tack up a few notches!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so cool, i saw the new tack sets on somewhere else and thought how much better it looks compared to breyer's normal work, and now i know why ! can't wait to buy both sets. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does look fab, but for many the item of tack that separates polo from just a normal breast girth and martingale is running reins - very few ponies play without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By running reins I assume you mean draw reins? I wanted to include those because they are so very prevalent, BUT straps are hard. Mass produced reins almost never drape correctly. I decided that less is more. If people really want them, they'll be easy enough to add aftermarket.

      :D

      Delete
  17. I just got the polo set yesterday and I have review on my blog. I love it and if you want some detailed pictures go check it out. Love, Love. Love all of this stuff. Excellent job Mrs.Buxton!

    ReplyDelete