Monday, September 13, 2010

Friday at RMR

The hobbyists who attend the Peter Stone Company's annual Rocky Mountain Rendezvous live show in Grand Lake, Colorado have co-opted Las Vegas' famous slogan and made it their own: What happens at Rendezvous, stays at Rendezvous. I heard that many times over this past weekend, and perhaps it was true in the past. This year, however, I was at Rendezvous and I brought my camera. What happened at Rendezvous 2010 has been photographed and recorded for all posterity!

The weekend started off tamely enough. Teresa arrived at my house, and we had no trouble fitting all my stuff in her car.
Perhaps if I had been paying a little more attention it might have occurred to me that I was forgetting something. Somehow that back seat doesn't look quite as full as I'd expected...
The drive through the mountains was absolutely beautiful. We'd been warned to expect construction delays between Winter Park and Granby but only one of those materialized and it was pretty minor.
I had just enough time to get out of the car and snap a few pictures before were rolling again.
The conversation was lively, the weather was beautiful and the scenery spectacular.
We arrived at the Winding River Resort in what seemed like no time at all.
Since Teresa was judging at the live show, she and I got to stay in the judges' cabin. I didn't know what to expect, but the cabin was pretty nice with two bedrooms, two baths and a full kitchen.
We started unpacking our personal belongings and I made a most unwelcome discovery... Somehow the bag with all my personal belongings had been left at home! Fortunately, performance showers are nothing if not resourceful. We got back in the car and headed to the town of Grand Lake.
I was able to buy a new toothbrush, hairbrush and deodorant at the local food market.
Replacing my clothes was a wee bit harder. Grand Lake is a tiny mountain town with lots of little tourist shops and not much else. I had no trouble finding t-shirts decorated with pictures of elk and moose...
but it wasn't until we wandered into the Grand Mountain Trading Company that I was able to find socks and sweat pants, too. I never did find a store that sold woman's underwear, so any further discussion on this topic will be avoided in the spirit of: What happens at Rendezvous, stays at Rendezvous.
Once my shopping was done we headed back to the Winding River Resort where we officially checked in with show treasurer Sandy Lyles and show host Jim West.
There were lots of Stone models on display during the hot dog dinner.
So many to choose from and of course they were all for sale.
This group was part of the auction.
I was tempted by the show SR "Jerico." Unfortunately, having already purchased a whole new wardrobe I was forced to resist.
Even more enticing was the new Morgan resin by Kitty Cantrell. This is a really nice sculpture...
and he looks great in tack!
And that tack? It's not half bad either. Be sure to check out the Stone Company's ad on MH$P for more information on their new line of saddles and bridles.
Sunset over the Winding River Resort. The first day of Rendezvous was a great success and the best was yet to come!
Up next--the live show!

6 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad about leaving things home. For RRL, Christie Partee left her foundation and hair gel at home, so she was au naturle for the entire show. I didn't pack enough shirts for the entire NAN/BF/EQ week, they just didn't make it into the suitcase, so I had to buy a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures show how gorgeous that country is. Can't wait for the show photos! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for the rest of the photographic evidence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left all my bras (that I had just made sure were all clean and ready to go) hanging in the laundry room this year for NAN/BF. I had to handwash in the sink with shampoo for a couple of days until my husband could overnight them to me! It was cheaper to send them overnight than to buy just one new one, so it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loooooooooooove that sky picture at the end. Before a big trip, I usually have 2-3 nightmares about forgetting stuff to pack... that keeps me remembering everything I need :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's the thing--I did actually *pack* my clothes and toiletries. After having spent five years living out of a suitcase, I'm pretty good at packing for a trip. However, it doesn't matter how well the bag is packed if you don't manage to put it in the car...

    All's well that ends well, though! I made it through the weekend and now I have some groovy moose shirts and cute horse socks!

    ReplyDelete