Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pony poetry

James' third grade literacy class is studying poetry this week.  One of his homework assignments was to choose a poem from this list...
Copy it in his composition book, draw a picture and then read it to someone in his family.
After he was done, I asked him if he'd like me to read one of my favorite poems to him.  He seemed a bit suspicious, especially after I told him it was about a pony.  Still, he was a good sport and waited patiently while I found the poem.


Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony
by Shel Silverstein

There was a girl named Abigail
Who was taking a drive
Through the country
With her parents
When she spied a beautiful sad-eyed
Grey and white pony.
And next to it was a sign
That said,
FOR SALE--CHEAP
"Oh," said Abigail,
"May I have that pony?
May I please?"
And her parents said,
"No you may not."
 And Abigail said,
"But I MUST have that pony."
And her parents said,
"Well, you can't have that pony,
But you can have a nice butter pecan
Ice cream cone when we get home.
And Abigail said,
"I don't want a butter pecan
Ice cream cone,
I WANT THAT PONY--
I MUST HAVE THAT PONY."
And her parents said,
"Be quiet and stop nagging--
You're not going to get that pony."
And Abigail began to cry and said,
"If I don't get that pony, I'll die."
And her parents said, "You won't die.
No child has ever died yet from not getting a pony."
And Abigail felt so bad
That when they got home she went to bed,
And she couldn't eat,
And she couldn't sleep,
And her heart was broken,
And she DID die--
All because of a pony
That her parents wouldn't buy.

(This is a good story
To read to your folks
When they won't buy
You something you want.)

James' eyes really lit up when I got to that last part.  I almost felt bad telling him that it hadn't worked on my parents and it wouldn't work with his.  He looked vaguely disappointed as he wandered away, but only a few minutes passed before I overheard him telling his brother to go read "Mama's horse poem." 
(James didn't ask me to illustrate my poem, but if he had, this is the picture I would have used.)

4 comments:

  1. Hehe, sweet story! ;-))
    I almost matched you little pony with a schleich cust: http://de.tinypic.com/m/dbjgap/4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute :-) I need to find more horse poems...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that link, Shanti. I really enjoyed flipping through your pictures. Such wonderful photography and all that teeny tiny tack!! It amazes me that anyone can work in that scale. I know I couldn't! :)

    ReplyDelete