Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Making it affordable

Have you ever wondered how some people can afford to have so many nice high dollar horses on their show table?

I used to tell myself, "Oh, she must be rich."

Now I know better. If you are sufficiently motivated, there are all sorts of ways to make the hobby more affordable.

None of these lovely Eberl ladies belong to me. They are only here for prepping.
This is one way that I can afford to "buy" expensive finishwork. You would be surprised at the number of painters who will trade quality prepwork for paint. It's a win-win situation for everyone involved and is just one of the ways I've been able to assemble a champagne showstring on a beer budget.

Would anyone be interested in a post about prepping?

10 comments:

  1. I'd love to learn the details of a quality prep job. Anything to take me closer to one of those beautiful models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Greetings, Doreen from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have read my mind - I've been wanting to learn how to prep for years but am too afraid to dive into it before I really know what to do, and how. If you're up to posting it, I'm definitely up to reading all of it!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Please make a post about prepping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm most definitely intrested in a post about prepping! That's something I've been wanting to learn but to afraid to try. What Kelli said actually.

    Also, I LOVE those Eberl cobra mares!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those mares are so beautiful!! Love them!
    And yes, I would love to see your tipps about prepping! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I am convinced. I will definitely put a prepping post on my to do list. The Eberl copra mares are probably too far along to be used as demonstration models, but I still have a box of untouched Sencillo's in the basement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prep models I am sending off to paint, so know I'd be interested in any tips.
    Trading is how I get lots of the gorgeous models and tack that I own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A post about prepping? Yes please! Your other tutorials are nice and easy to follow and I've no doubt that you can do the same for prepping. You could even split it into two, plastics and resins, if the methods are different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to laugh about the box of Sencillo's, Jen! ;) Good news is I'm all out of him after that so I'll be keeping you busy with other models!

    ReplyDelete