Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Borrowed treasure

For the past ten days I've been busy making tack and props to use in the performance division of the upcoming Rocky Mountain Rendezvous live show. I've accomplished a lot in that time, but inevitably I won't get to everything on the list. Fortunately, what can't be made can often be borrowed, especially if you're lucky enough to have a couple very generous friends. Here's a look at a few of the goodies that have been lent to me by my friend Tiffany Purdy.

First up is this really unique and amazing parade set made by Tiffany and Kathy Wiggins.
The silver decorations are a combination of tape, iron on crystals and nailheads and other findings. I can't be certain, but I think the swan head horn was sculpted out of precious metal clay.
Detail of the bridle. I really love the sparkle and dimensionality of the iron on decorations. However, I am not enamored with their lack of long term adhesive power. This parade set came with a repair kit, and I spent an hour or two regluing spots and crystals this morning. Despite that, I managed to knock a couple more out of place while tacking up my mule.
But that's not all! Trashy gets a parade set, too. This one was made by Shannon Granger of Riversong Saddlery.
It's a rare pleasure for me to have two parade sets of this caliber in my possession. There's so much to learn from other tackmakers. It's been both interesting and instructional to see the different ways that Kathy and Shannon tackled the same set of problems.
And what is this cart doing here? I do not remember telling Tiffany that I wanted to show harness!!
On second thought... This is a really nice cart. So nice, in fact, that I just might be persuaded to attempt all those buckles!
Hmmm. Gotta run. It seems I have a harness to try on!

6 comments:

  1. I don't dye my leather I paint it with acrylic paint then use "Decoart Duraclear Varnish" satin finish which protects the paint and gives it a shine. Then I put my hot fix nailheads onto this surface and so far they stick well. Don't know if this helps or not, worth experimenting with?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a SUPER nice cart... you do need to try the buckles :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice--Tiffany told me that the parade set is several years old so I don't think it started out this way. The problem areas are on the straps that curve around the horse's head and body. Probably there are things that can be done to minimize adhesive wear and tear, but I think it's just inherent in this type of decoration.

    Teresa--the funny part is that she sent me BACK a harness I made a couple years ago to use with the cart... You would think I wouldn't find that too intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a real force to be reckoned with in the show ring! can't wait to hear about the results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No kidding! I can't wait to hear how you do at the show! Looks like you're going to be very busy - tacking up, AND filling out NAN cards, lol. :D

    I really want to sit in that cart, lol. Look at that padded seat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! Imagine my surprise at seeing that set on your WT! Hope it does well with you :). That was my first parade set. Wish you the best with that super cool cart too!

    ReplyDelete