Thursday, February 9, 2017

Researching Aggie

A couple days ago, Allie posted a basic but important reminder on the NaMoPaiMo Facebook page.
I am slightly embarrassed to admit this, but until now, I've been painting my model sans reference.
In my defense, she's a Clydesdale...
and I'm painting her in the classic Clydesdale color scheme: bright bay,
four white legs,
a big blaze...
and maybe a belly spot.
My main goal for NaMoPaiMo is to figure out oil painting technique, but Allie is right. I should be working from a reference photo, especially since I have several decades of Clydesdale photos saved in my files.
Although I'm not generally a draft horse fan, I've always had a soft spot for Clydesdales. One of the highlights of my childhood was seeing the Clydesdales every year when they came to Pasadena for the Rose Parade.
My best friend and I would walk to Eaton Canyon Riding Club, where they were stabled, and spend hours loitering outside their stalls. It was just so exciting having them there!
Nowadays, I do most of my Clydesdale watching at parades, draft horse shows and the National Western Stock Show. In fact, for me, this year's Stock Show was all about Clydesdales. First, I sat on Blake.
Then I totally geeked out over the Clydesdale team that performed during the rodeo.
I already knew that Aggie was my NaMoPaiMo horse, so I was all about the variations.
Sabino roaning!
Black leg! 
Badger face! 
Oh, that badger face... I just love it!
Tempting as it is, none of these variations will find their way onto my Aggie. She's still going to be bright bay, with four high stockings, a big blaze and maybe a belly spot. Still, this has been a useful exercise. I feel a lot more prepared for the next round of oil paint. Thanks for the reminder, Allie. You are my NaMoPaiMo Champion of the Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment