Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Tutorial Tuesday - Quickies

It's Tutorial Tuesday, and today's first post is a smorgasbord of quick tips on everything from prepping to color theory. Thanks to everyone who contributed their knowledge. I have learned so much from hosting NaMoPaiMo.

Prepping always comes before paint, so that's where we'll begin. Here's some words of wisdom from master prepper, Charlotte Donahue: Before priming, lay your models down on a clean sheet of paper, spray, quarter turn, spray, quarter turn ... repeat until you have sprayed all the way around. If you do it this way, you will have no primer on your fingers, and no toppled models. Plus, you can spray multiple models at a time.
photo by Charlotte Donahue
Ever wondered how to handle exposed wires?
Here's Charlotte's advice: Bondo spot putty is okay for exposed wires, but I prefer brush on resin gel. I buy it at Sally Beauty Supply. A tiny bottle costs about four dollars. One swipe over the wires and the coating is thick and tough.
photo by Charlotte Donahue
Speaking of beauty supplies, several people recommended make up brushes as an alternative to the traditional paint brush. Isaac Brushett says: These apply colours smoothly and evenly and are great for pigments and pastels. They can be purchased cheaply on eBay. 
Hanna Bear concurs. Here is a picture of her NaMoPaiMo model with a one dollar ELF make up brush that she calls "the best thing since sliced bread."
photo by Hanna Bear
In regards to mixing and storing paint, Jen Johnson shared this easy trick: I found these individual paint pots, and decided to text them with my white markings mixture. 
photo by Jen Johnson
It has been a month at least since I mixed up the paint, and it still is in great shape. I have one with a little diluted mixture as well. This doesn't keep quite as long, but it's still much longer than in a palette tray! This is a nice time saver for me, since I don't have to mix up paint each time I want to do markings. It's also a paint saver, since I'm not leaving so much dried up paint on the palette!
photo by Jen Johnson
It may be tempting to use those little pots in place of a palette, but that's not a good idea. Jennifer Kroll explains why:  Don't do this. Don't paint from jars. I told myself not to do it WHILE I WAS DOING IT, but I didn't stop. Then I got called away and didn't return to my desk for days. Now it's all dried. Not a huge loss since I needed to mix a new jar anyway (probably because I keep painting from the jar, and it's getting little dried chunks in it), but still a pain. Make sure you put your paint on the pallet and seal your paint jars immediately. Don't be like me. Lol.
photo by Jennifer Kroll
Here's a neat tip for painting white markings from Betsy Groff: When painting white markings in acrylics I always have a clean brush for removing paint from areas where it shouldn't be. Just dampen the brush with water, wipe off the excess water on a towel, and brush it towards the white areas. This should clean up the oops without having to go back and match colors.
photo by Elias Farley
Finally, for those of us who don't have the benefit of art education, Janelle Admason gives us a quick lesson on color theory. She writes: A color wheel is super useful for correcting and mixing colors. Horse too bright? Desaturate with light layers of grey. Too orange/red? Use an opposing color (blue/green) to bring the color back to neutral. A few layers of Titanium white pastels give a slight cool cast without greatly lightening the horse. If you're having trouble 'seeing' colors, paste your reference photo into image editing/drawing software (GIMP and Krita are free) and use the color picker to pull out the different shades within the coat.
Thanks again, Charlotte, Isaac, Hanna, Jen, Jennifer, Betsy and Janelle. These tips are awesome!

1 comment:

  1. All I have left on my NaMoPaiMo horse is sealing it! Then on to another horse.

    ReplyDelete