Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Winning Wednesday

February is half way over, and suddenly, there's a whole herd of newly finished NaMoPaiMo horses to share. First up is Beth Peart Weekes' Clover resin. Beth completed this horse in a weekend, which sounds fast if you're not the one doing the work. Judging by the complexity of the paintwork, I'm guessing that was one long weekend!
This adorable foal was painted by Betsy Groff. Her NaMoPaiMO goal was "not to use oil paints," and she didn't! The model is painted entirely with pastels and acrylics, plus watercolor pencils for the chestnuts.
Melissa Addison also used pastels and acrylics to paint her Safari Tennessee Walking Horse.
Christine Lewis' Buck is the one of several portrait models. He was was started in 2000, and had spent seventeen years languishing in her body box before NaMoPaiMo. 
Here's another one of the portraits. This is Tom├ís Varela's Coimbra. He writes: She's a portrait of a mare I worked with for a few months, at Uni. I had to stop riding her, sadly, as she came up lame, but she really taught me to relax and enjoy riding. She also helped me get over my fear of jumping and riding outside.
Longtime readers know that I love a good chestnut, so it's no surprise that Jami Worms' Latigo is one of my favorite NaMoPaiMo horses so far. He is fabulous!
Lynn Royea's Moxie is pretty wonderful, too. I especially love her soft expression and coloring. 
Here's Taylor Trent's entry. He was painted with airbrushed acrylics and Prismacolor pencils. Taylor has been painting for almost a year.
This is Sophia Connolly's third painted horse and her first dapple grey. Like Taylor, she is off to a great start.
Renee Jordan is yet another talented newcomer. "Zydeco Two Step" is the first model she's ever painted, and he turned out great. It makes me really happy to see new people diving into the world of finishwork!
Of course, I am equally happy to see experienced artists using NaMoPaiMo to try new things. Julie Brooks says this of her NaMoPaiMo experience: I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing everyone's models, learning new techniques, and getting some very helpful tips. Doing this horse pushed me to stepping out of my comfort zone and try some new things. It also gave me an opportunity to put my new airbrush "through the paces," and I am very happy with the results. Thanks for the opportunity to participate!
Last, but certainly not least, is Christina Riley's tiny, sparkley unicorn. Be sure to check out Christina's website for more pictures and the story of his creation.
Congratulations, everyone! You are all winners. Additionally, Christina is the NaMoPaiMo Champion of the Day for all her administrative help with the NaMoPaiMo Facebook page. 

7 comments:

  1. I love seeing all the pretty ponies! The latest NaMoPaiMo update from Kim & I is up: http://carissakirksey.weebly.com/blog
    I am sorry to hear that Aggie did not behave for you; keep trying! Nothing is a failure as you learn just as much from a mistake as an accomplishment. Strip & try again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, she doesn't need stripping.The paint is smooth and well blended, it's just not an attractive color. I'm calling it base coat number two. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks to NaMoPaiMo, I'm also trying to paint horses. And your post about pencils was a real revelation for me: I made some tests on a Khemo-sausage body I have and I bought a Pluto body as first real victim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just finishing the details on the paint markings, then I'm moving onto the Eyes, mane, tail, and hooves!! I'm so excited! It's my first paint and my second custom model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Yay! Thank you for the honor --I feel so special :D Just doin' my best to help out! :)

    ReplyDelete